Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aero Order - Highwayman

New In Town

First Aero Order - Highwayman

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a few weeks or so now learning more than I ever thought possible about Aero's jackets.
    I am really glad to have found this community as I will now be personalizing my order in more ways than I ever would have thought to.

Anyway, in working with Amanda, I have come up with the following list of specs that will be finalized once I receive the sample swatches (want to be sure the brown is pretty dark).

Here are the specs if anyone has any comments or recommendations on something I may not have thought of:

•"Highwayman" - Heavy Front Quarter Horsehide
    • Size 42" with 27" Back length and 26.5" Sleeve length
    • Color Brown
    • Nickel Hardware
    • Remove Storm Cuffs
    • Leather facing inside the cuffs (Extra £50)
    • 2 inch leather strip across inside bottom to protect edge of lining (Extra £50)
    • One horizontal zip pocket on exterior, LHS
    • Vertical “gun” pockets with snap closure opening on the inside leather facings
    • Body Lining - Mackenzie Weathered Tartan
    • Sleeve Lining -cotton drill with a rayon overlay
    • Hand warmer pockets lined in brown corduroy
    • Utility pockets lined in moleskin

The only thing I was really still flip-flopping on was the custom lengths of sleeve and back....want to be sure it covers the belt and that the sleeves arent ridiculously long but still leaving room to "wrinkle shorter" during the break in. (BTW, I am 6'-1")

I am really looking forward to ordering, receiving, and being in a position to post comments based on my experience once it arrives!!

Thanks all!
    Keesak

Practically Family andy richards's Avatar
    Hi Keesak and welcome on the Fedora Lounge,
    The Highwayman is a great choice! Keep in mind that these jackets have a rather "boxy" cut. Always give Amanda your sizes like chest, waist, armlength, build, etc. Good luck and cheers!
    Andy

Sounds like a nice order! Look forward to seeing it, and welcome!

One of the Regulars
    I'm just over 6'3" and ordered 27" sleeves on my cafe racer. I've got a current cafe racer with a 26.5" back on it which goes a couple of inches below the belt at the back. Based on that I would think your measurements should give you a back that's long enough, and you're always better with arms too long than too short as they can be shortened.
    Sounds like a great jacket, I'm planning a black FQHH highwayman with similar modifications. Cheers, Matt

Sounds like a great order! I might consider getting plain cuffs, which i like better than the standard ones. Contrast stitching in olive also looks nice and i never use the right inside pocket and would probably settle for only one instead. Mine also has no back yoke, but I like both styles. Finally name tags are a nice thing to have on the inside.

Practically Family
    Welcome to the Lounge keesak!

coffee

Welcome keesak, the sleeve length sounds short to me. I'm 5'10" and order sleeve lengths 26"
    Also I know loungers are fans of leather linings on the bottom hem and sleeve ends, I personally think that would add undesirable rigidity to those areas. Your doubling the material in that area only which means the jacket will bend and fold in other areas.
    I think about how annoying my stiff HH highwayman rides up on me when I sit down (jacket zipped). Seems to me a leather hem at the bottom would compound issues like that. Just my two cents.

One of the Regulars
    They can shave the leather down that they're doing the protective lining with, so it's not double the thickness but still offers protection.

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrow82 View Post
    Welcome keesak, the sleeve length sounds short to me. I'm 5'10" and order sleeve lengths 26"
    That is hard to say for sure as people have different length torsos and arms. I'm 5"9.5 and I order 25 inch sleeves.

Welcome Keesak.
    I have 2 thoughts to pass along.
    Instead of the leather hem along the lining bottom, I got brown corduroy.
    It looks really beautiful and is much more supple than the leather as others have said.
    This is my 3rd year with it and it shows almost no wear.
    As for the inner and exterior pockets, I recommend not putting an exterior zipped pocket on the same side as an interior gun pocket.
    The layers really pile up and make that side very bulky.
    Additionally, it prints on the outside.
    Just a thought.
    Good luck with the order.
    Lenny