Advertisements
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Aero Order - Highwayman

New In Town

Advertisements
    Thanks everyone! I did provide some other measurements to her from which she derived the size 42" with 27" Back length and 26.5" Sleeve length. For reference and to help anyone else down the road, the other measurements were :

Height is: 6'-1"
    Chest relaxed: 42"
    Chest expanded 43.5"
    Waist: 37"
    Stomach: 38.5"
    Normal Sleeve: 35"
    Sleeves and torso were finally arrived at after I sent a few photos, so I think she has me pegged pretty well as far as that goes.

Eclarvaux, could you elaborate on the difference between plain and standard cuff, or were you just referring to the storm cuff? If so, I agree and am going in that direction. I asked Amanda about the contrast stitching and she said that since the Highwayman has roll-over stitching throughout, there would not be a location to use contrast stitching on this model. I agree with you though, I think the olive looks great.

I considered the stacked pocket dilemma and was considering just doing one inside pocket on the opposite side but then it would be a left handed pocket which doesnt make a lot a sense for my rightie needs. The other option would be to put the zipper on the right hand side which seemed a little odd, or just eliminate it. I kind of like the traditional look of the pocket though.....TBD on this I suppose.

Mattp, you say they can shave it down, is that something that is done standard for this detail?

Thanks again for all the insight!

Keesak

One of the Regulars
    I'm not sure if they shave it down as standard to be honest, but when I was talking to Giles at Iron Heart, who I placed my order through, he mentioned it and said we could do it on my jacket. Might be worth asking them just in case it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by mattp View Post
    They can shave the leather down that they're doing the protective lining with, so it's not double the thickness but still offers protection.
    But they didn't (with my HWM), although I had ordered thin leather stripes ...

Regards,

Johannes
    Last edited by Lungomare; 04-26-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett)

You can also ask for a lighter hide on the strip. No big deal, and it doesn't bother me one bit.
    But cord might work well too. Their corduroy is awesome. I lined all my pockets with it.

Welcome to the lounge!

This is the most important advice I have for you (I have to quote Lenny):

I recommend not putting an exterior zipped pocket on the same side as an interior gun pocket.
    Don't put too many pockets on your jacket. You probably won't use them and too many pockets look silly especially if you stuff too many things into them. The less you carry around the neater the jacket looks.

Good luck with your order!
    Thanks,
    Jan

"Out into the cool of the evening strolls the pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams begin and end there."

Quote Originally Posted by keesak View Post
    Eclarvaux, could you elaborate on the difference between plain and standard cuff, or were you just referring to the storm cuff? If so, I agree and am going in that direction. I asked Amanda about the contrast stitching and she said that since the Highwayman has roll-over stitching throughout, there would not be a location to use contrast stitching on this model. I agree with you though, I think the olive looks great.
    The standard cuff is doubled-up with an angled patch of leather sewn on top of the sleeve (see pic below). I have recently seen a HWYMan without it, but can't find the thread. I really liked the cleaner look.

As for the contrast stitching: roll-over stitching or no, there are a number of visible seams on my HWYMan (and all others) and the contrast stitching would certainly show on that model as well. But may be I got something wrong here. Just check my picture how many visible seams you can still spot.

btw, this is mine, ca two years back:

for reference, the no-yoke back:

Please excuse my woolen slippers in safety-minded international orange, but as you know most fatal accidents happen at home.
    Last edited by eClairvaux; 04-27-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eClairvaux View Post
    The standard cuff is doubled-up with an angled patch of leather sewn on top of the sleeve (see pic below). I have recently seen a HWYMan without it, but can't find the thread. I really liked the cleaner look.

As for the contrast stitching: roll-over stitching or no, there are a number of visible seams on my HWYMan (and all others) and the contrast stitching would certainly show on that model as well. But may be I got something wrong here. Just check my picture how many visible seams you can still spot.

btw, this is mine, ca two years back:

for reference, the no-yoke back:

Please excuse my woolen slippers in safety-minded international orange, but as you know most fatal accidents happen at home.
    By comparison:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...e-gold-…

Customizing was:

- Regular size 38 with back-length 65,5 cm/26" and arm length 67,5 cm/26.6".

- No storm-cuffs.

- Leather strips inside at waist (2") and cuffs (1.5") - please use soft and thin leather matching the colour of the jacket.

- Lining: dark green / olive cotton drill.

- Zip breast pocket as usual on the left side and one inside pocket on the right side (vertical opening, the "gun"-style). Depth of this inside pocket is 7".

- AAF Regulation Name Tag in brown leather on the lining under the Aero company label.

Kind regards,

Johannes
    Last edited by Lungomare; 04-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. (Samuel Beckett)