Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you're stunned that people haven't seen....

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by rue View Post

Don't even bother with Top Gun.
    But it has Kelly McGillis in it! And cool planes. And Canadian actor Michael Ironside!

Actually, you're right....

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCairo View Post
    But it has Kelly McGillis in it! And cool planes. And Canadian actor Michael Ironside!

It has one of my favourite lines in it though. It's after one of their training sessions when one of the teams failed and 'died' and afterwards someone says to them in the locker room: "We regret to inform you that your sons died because they were stupid."

I quote that a lot at work.
    The Rags of Time - my history blog

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCairo View Post

As well as Meg Ryan, Anthony Edwards and Val Kilmer when they were unknown.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

To me, it's generational. For someone with 10 years of me on either side, I'd have to say The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, Jaws (also a huge big deal when it was released, the original Planet of the Apes, Bullitt, Easy Rider, and The Exorcist.

I was exposed to a lot of old movies when I was a kid in the 60s (the 4:30 Movie) so I watched a lot of films that were made up to 40 years before I was born. Of those films, my top pick would have to be The Wizard of Oz, Ben Hur, and my favorite, It's a Wonderful Life, as well as It Happened One Night which I am sure was one of the raciest films of its day.

Oh yeah, and The Ten Commandments.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 04-27-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

One of the Regulars
    I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, and, frankly, I have no intention of doing so. I just can't stand the subject matter.

I have seen Top Gun. Wife's favorite. Ex-girlfriend's favorite. Dumbest excuse for aircraft action I've ever seen.

Before I retired I was Head of Arts at a local high school. I was sitting in the staffroom one day having lunch and noticed two teachers...one a math teacher, the other an English teacher...standing in front of a poster that listed the winners of the Oscar for best picture, right back to Wings. Both were in their early thirties. I asked them them which ones they liked the best and they both admitted they had only seen one. One...out of all the best picture winners since the late twenties. I even pointed out ones like The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, Wizard of Oz....nothing. I was appalled. They asked me how many I've seen and I replied every one of them, of course.

They were nonplussed. These were educated people (theoretically, at least) who frequently went to see current films. I really didn't know how to react to this one.

I'm used to seeing films that nobody else seems to know about...The Beast, Gallipoli, Dead Man, The Man Who Wasn't There, etc. ....but this one was too much.

I know this isn't a Big Name flic like those aforementioned BUT, if you ever get a chance to see "Hear My Song" (which is currently unavailable in the U.S. DVD format ) don't pass it up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102014/

my sorta movie

MP

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    Oh yeah, and The Ten Commandments.
    I was discussing epic movies with a Young Person once and "Ten Commandments" came up. "Oh, I wouldn't want to bother with that," she said. "I can't stand those Jesus movies."

Um.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Vornholt View Post
    I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, and, frankly, I have no intention of doing so. I just can't stand the subject matter.

I have seen Top Gun. Wife's favorite. Ex-girlfriend's favorite. Dumbest excuse for aircraft action I've ever seen.
    Wow just because Tom Cruise was the first navy fighter jock with a phone book on the seat so he could see out of the cockpit.
    "The worst of all fears is the fear of living." T.R.
    "Life is conflict, survival and conquest."
    Col. John Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lex View Post
    Quadrophenia is brilliant, but it has almost no cultural presence in the US.

OT: I'm actually terribly behind on classic films, but as far as cultural standbys go...I always get very surprised when people say they haven't seen The Princess Bride. I've only met two people who, having seen it, didn't like it.
    Disliked "The Princess Bride?". Philistines!