Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you're stunned that people haven't seen....

Quote Originally Posted by rue View Post
    My mother has never watched it, because of the scene where Zuzu says "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings." She said that scene in the preview makes her gag. Sometimes I wonder how we're related
    This movie flopped at the box office when it came out and was appreciated by only a few for decades until it started being shown en masse on TV. It's one of our favorite movies of all time and both my husband and I cry buckets at the end of it, while my parents (in their 80's) are completely unmoved by it and don't understand why we love it so much. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerella72 View Post
    This movie flopped at the box office when it came out and was appreciated by only a few for decades until it started being shown en masse on TV. It's one of our favorite movies of all time and both my husband and I cry buckets at the end of it, while my parents (in their 80's) are completely unmoved by it and don't understand why we love it so much. I don't get it.
    My mom is only 60 years old, so it's not because of it being a flop at the box office. She's just really weird

"Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen

Quote Originally Posted by BigFitz View Post
    I've not seen them ever. Well, not entirely true. I tried watching the first one when it came out. To me, it didn't live up to all the hype and I quit watching after an hour into it. I've avoided the rest entirely though.
    Honestly, I can't imagine anyone who has not read the books (and likes them) liking the movies. I love the movies, but only because I'm also a Potter book fan. The plots are so complex that if I had never read the books, I would have hated the movies.

But then, not everyone likes this genre, either, so that is also understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
    Isn't that Gremlins? Which I incidentally never saw. Goonies is about a bunch of kids who muck about in some sort of caves/dungeon (all I remember; I saw it back in the '80s and wasn't impressed so here's one person who didn't like it): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089218/
    I think The Goonies is one of those films that is a generational, moment-in-time things.....you had to be a 8 - 13 year old in the mid 1980's, in America, and have had to seen it at the movie theater when it came out, to appreciate its appeal.

For a current example, the movie Napoleon Dynamite from a few years ago. Everyone in a certain age group loved it and "got it", while people over that age group shook their heads and said, "Huh?" as to why anyone could think it remotely funny.

I think The Goonies is one of those films that is a generational, moment-in-time things.....you had to be a 8 - 13 year old in the mid 1980's, in America, and have had to seen it at the movie theater when it came out, to appreciate its appeal.
    I've never seen Goonies, but then again I was quite a bit older than 13 in the mid '80s.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

For a current example, the movie Napoleon Dynamite from a few years ago. Everyone in a certain age group loved it and "got it", while people over that age group shook their heads and said, "Huh?" as to why anyone could think it remotely funny.
    Yeah.... that was me.

Quote Originally Posted by V.C. Brunswick View Post
    I've never seen Goonies, but then again I was quite a bit older than 13 in the mid '80s.
    I was 16 and I loved it

"Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen

I have to say that I enjoyed this movie and I'm 45. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that if you removed Napoleon's glasses, it'd be close to my appearance in high school. Now where did I put my senior picture....

Found the goonies entertaining. Tried to watch Napolean Dynamite, but couldn't stand it. I am okay with that.

One Too Many

ND appeals to a certain type, I think, rather than age group. My wife and I were in our late 30s when it came out, we LOVE it, own it, quote it, because, let's face it, it's SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCairo View Post
    ND appeals to a certain type, I think, rather than age group. My wife and I were in our late 30s when it came out, we LOVE it, own it, quote it, because, let's face it, it's SWEET!
    "Like anyone can even know that"