Advertisements

Thread: Trench coat "gun flap"?

One Too Many
    Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Trench coat "gun flap"?

Advertisements
    Was wondering, what is the actual purpose of the "gun flap" on the right shoulder on some trench coat designs?
    Style only?
    Sure won't provide padding for a rifle.
    Help keep the rain out if you button the coat all the way up....covering that last button?

Storm (Gun) Flap – Assumed by many to be padding for a rifle butt, the “gun” flap is actually a protective flap to ensure water does not slip into the jacket as it runs down the shoulders. It effectively serves as a cap, keeping the wearer dry, assuming he has on headwear.
    http://artofmanliness.com/2010/10/20...e-trench-coat/

One Too Many
    Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
    Great link. Thanks.

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    Storm (Gun) Flap – Assumed by many to be padding for a rifle butt, the “gun” flap is actually a protective flap to ensure water does not slip into the jacket as it runs down the shoulders. It effectively serves as a cap, keeping the wearer dry, assuming he has on headwear.
    That's exactly right: they're rain flaps. Who can say why everyone started calling them gun flaps? One of those strange quirks of the language (but I think we can blame a marketing person somewhere, somewhen who decided that "gun flap" sounded cooler than "rain flap"). On most modern coats they're just a style detail since most people wear synthetics and what-not when it's raining.
    "Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett