Thread: Need help identifying Victorian coat.

New In Town

Need help identifying Victorian coat.

I originally didn't want to post this question on here since these forums tend to focus on clothing from the 1920s-40s. However, I couldn't find any other vintage clothing forums which may have helped me.

I was wondering if anyone can identify the type of coat this gentleman is wearing. Or if someone can suggest something very similar. I'd REALLY like to own a coat like this. The photograph is dated from 1884 if that helps to narrow it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New In Town
    I am in no way an expert on Victorian clothing, and I don't pretend to be. But just looking at this coat, it appears to be pretty standard late-Victorian. Notice the cutaway front, four snap button closure and high gorge that appears to meet exactly with the waistcoat's. I don't think it's meant to be buttoned closed, but I could certainly be wrong. I don't know the exact name of this garment, but it could possibly be an early model of the sack suit, or, perhaps, some sort of morning coat. Try those two.

I know this isn't a lot to go on, but like I said, I'm in no way an expert. Who is this a photograph of, may I ask? If he is a notable politician or actor, you may be able to find out who supplied his wardrobe, or something like that.

Good luck, maybe other Loungers will be able to tell you more.

New In Town
    Thanks. I appreciate any amount of help. I'll do some digging on what you suggested. I don't know the identity of the man in the photograph. The image originally came from a cabinet card that I found online ages ago.

This is a standard morning coat of the period, with a high buttoning point, which was also very common. These coats show up on ebay quite regularly, although four button morning coats tend to be more expensive than three buttons or two buttons.

New In Town
    Thanks! Glad to finally know what it is. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open on Ebay!

New In Town
    Qirrel, do you know exactly when this style of morning coat would have been regularly worn? Was it just a late-Victorian thing, or did it continue on into the Edwardian era and Roaring Twenties?

Splendid moustache on that dapper gent. I wonder if he might be a game keeper or something, given his riding crop, cutaway coat and what appears to be a bowler hat. I think I recall reading something about game keepers having differing numbers of buttons on their cutaway coats based on their seniority. Perhaps this might be an example of just such a practice?
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9912/gtsig.jpg
    “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

Practically Family
    Canterbury and Burgess Hill, UK (former expat)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brevetti View Post
    Qirrel, do you know exactly when this style of morning coat would have been regularly worn? Was it just a late-Victorian thing, or did it continue on into the Edwardian era and Roaring Twenties?
    Morning coats in this particular style were only really in fashion until around the mid 1890's; though morning coats (in an evolved form) are still around today. The tails gradually lengthened, the buttons got fewer, and it continued to climb the formality ladder until the mid 1930's, by which time it was the most formal of day dress, had knee length tails, one button, and peaked lapels. They ceased to be worn day to day from the 1900's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin&Tonics View Post
    Splendid moustache on that dapper gent. I wonder if he might be a game keeper or something, given his riding crop, cutaway coat and what appears to be a bowler hat. I think I recall reading something about game keepers having differing numbers of buttons on their cutaway coats based on their seniority. Perhaps this might be an example of just such a practice?
    Probably not a game keeper. They would not have worn this colour combination, that is, black and striped trousers, which was the most formal way of wearing a morning coat/frock coat. For pre ca. 1900 (which is when this coat was popular, as Cobden said), this would have been regular daytime business wear for middle class (and higher), depending of course on their occupation. It was, for example, not uncommon for bookkeepers, working in businesses of some class, to wear frock coats on a daily basis, even into the early 1900s and up to the first world war.

quite right Cobden & Qirrel, gamekeeper would have been brown
    VM