Advertisements
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 201

Thread: current dress trends

  1. #11
    Bartender Feraud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hardlucksville, NY
    Posts
    16,504



    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompidou View Post
    Fair enough, but what if the pants pulled up so high lead to exaggerated high waters at the ankles, leading to the conclusion that the pants the youth wear and the pants the elderly wear are of the same design, only both set at the wrong height?
    The rare times I've seen an elderly man wear his pants that high (while the rise is high, the inseam is never high-water level) it never struck me as cringe worthy.
    A good rule of thumb for style is "less is more". The less butt-crack, underwear, etc. one chooses to show the better.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

  2. #12
    One Too Many Pompidou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Plainfield, CT
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    At the risk of kicking the dead horse until it falls to pieces in the road, nobody's ever come up with a reasonable answer to the question I always ask when this issue comes up: why do men want their torsos to look long and their legs to look short and stubby? Wearing pants anywhere but at the natural waistline makes the body look asymmetrical, and is unflattering by any standard by which such things can be judged on any normally-built adult male -- so why do it? What do these men see when they look in the mirror that makes them think YEAH BABY THE CHICKS DIG GUYS BUILT LIKE CHARLIE BROWN! WOO! SMOKIN'!

    Seriously, what do they see?
    What do the women see? A good portion of dressing is to look good to the opposite sex. Fact is, " the chicks dig guys built like Charlie Brown".

  3. #13
    Bartender LizzieMaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where The Tourists Meet The Sea
    Posts
    14,745
    More proof, then, that evolution is going in reverse.
    Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. -- Clifford Odets

  4. #14
    Bartender Feraud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hardlucksville, NY
    Posts
    16,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompidou View Post
    What do the women see? A good portion of dressing is to look good to the opposite sex. Fact is, " the chicks dig guys built like Charlie Brown".
    I don't believe that at all. A gal with Charlie Brown on her arm will always give a look when a well dressed guy walks in the room. They'll generally comment at some point too. I've received enough of those, "I wish my boyfriend/husband dressed better" comments from appreciative women.
    Truth be told, I think most women have low self-esteem and their choice of men confirm it.
    I see too many couples out and about where the woman is dressed to kill and the guy looks like he just finished his little league baseball game.
    Workwear is the new Black.
    I'm not a bearded logger but play one on the internets

  5. #15
    Incurably Addicted rue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    California native living in Arizona.
    Posts
    13,459
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    At the risk of kicking the dead horse until it falls to pieces in the road, nobody's ever come up with a reasonable answer to the question I always ask when this issue comes up: why do men want their torsos to look long and their legs to look short and stubby? Wearing pants anywhere but at the natural waistline makes the body look asymmetrical, and is unflattering by any standard by which such things can be judged on any normally-built adult male -- so why do it? What do these men see when they look in the mirror that makes them think YEAH BABY THE CHICKS DIG GUYS BUILT LIKE CHARLIE BROWN! WOO! SMOKIN'!

    Seriously, what do they see?
    You crack me up Lizzie

    I completely agree though!


    "Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

    In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen

  6. #16
    Incurably Addicted rue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    California native living in Arizona.
    Posts
    13,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompidou View Post
    What do the women see? A good portion of dressing is to look good to the opposite sex. Fact is, " the chicks dig guys built like Charlie Brown".
    I disagree. I just think that the majority of men dress like that, so women have no other choice


    "Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

    In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen

  7. #17
    One Too Many Pompidou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Plainfield, CT
    Posts
    1,247
    Men's dress varies pretty drastically across history and culture. Funny pants are just one iteration of this. It's certainly possible that women in all circumstances except those where men dress like Cary Grant have been settling or lack self esteem. If women 200 years ago found knickers attractive on a guy, and some women can be attracted to the farmer in overalls, others the hard working mechanic, and others yet the suited gentleman, and in fact at times those favoring the metrosexual or the working man not liking the alternative, it seems simpler to just assume that most women seeing guys in modern fashion do in fact like it. Sure, some might just be settling, and it's mathematically mandatory that half a population have less self esteem than average, but these fashions don't form in a bubble. There's a lot of give and take trying to appeal to peers, of which women are a part. To argue otherwise might lead one to believe women never liked a man's outfit until the advent of the suit, and women in no suit regions are settling even still. People's tastes span a huge range, and cultural norms can make a lot of soon to be silly ideas attractive. Happens every decade.

  8. #18
    "A List" Customer Juliet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Stranded in Hungary
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompidou View Post
    Men's dress varies pretty drastically across history and culture. Funny pants are just one iteration of this. It's certainly possible that women in all circumstances except those where men dress like Cary Grant have been settling or lack self esteem. If women 200 years ago found knickers attractive on a guy, and some women can be attracted to the farmer in overalls, others the hard working mechanic, and others yet the suited gentleman, and in fact at times those favoring the metrosexual or the working man not liking the alternative, it seems simpler to just assume that most women seeing guys in modern fashion do in fact like it. Sure, some might just be settling, and it's mathematically mandatory that half a population have less self esteem than average, but these fashions don't form in a bubble. There's a lot of give and take trying to appeal to peers, of which women are a part. To argue otherwise might lead one to believe women never liked a man's outfit until the advent of the suit, and women in no suit regions are settling even still. People's tastes span a huge range, and cultural norms can make a lot of soon to be silly ideas attractive. Happens every decade.
    Don't forget the trends set by the industry.
    One always finds a large amount of people who are most unsatisfied with the current 'look' of the opposite sex. Yet it is the expected look, so the majority will wear it - just because it is expected (force majeure, as war and rationing, aside).
    Look your best - who said love is blind?
    Mae West

  9. #19
    Head Bartender scotrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dover, OH
    Posts
    13,099
    As Miss Neecerie used to wisely point out: We are not mainstream. We wear clothes from dead stranger's attics, dumpsters, rummage sales, rotting trunks and roach motels. People in glass houses....
    .

    A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

    .

  10. #20
    Bartender sheeplady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, New York, USA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by scotrace View Post
    As Miss Neecerie used to wisely point out: We are not mainstream. We wear clothes from dead stranger's attics, dumpsters, rummage sales, rotting trunks and roach motels. People in glass houses....
    That's hilarious because it's so true.
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •