Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic ballpoint pens for everyday use

Classic ballpoint pens for everyday use

I'm looking around for a nice classic ballpoint pen to use on a daily basis. I know about the Montblanc but can't stomach the price. Are there any other recommendations out there? I'm looking for something currently in production but with a long pedigree. Thanks.

Pakers come to mind. And to me, the steel Lamys are a classic, too.

Hard to beat the Parker Jotter for both quality and price if it's a ballpoint you want.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Hard to beat the Parker Jotter for both quality and price if it's a ballpoint you want.
    Thanks -- you just saved me $341.50!

Check out Retro51 pens.

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    Cross still makes very good BPs. Also, Pelikan produces BPs, and if they are anywhere close to their Fountain Pens in quality they will be superb.

I have used Parker jotters for probably 40 years, along with Cross and both are excellent. I like the larger capacity of the Parker refill and the way I work using a pen in and out of pocket constantly, the click mechanism is prefered. I have never had a Parker click pin fail.

Recently wanting something a little more classy I have picked a Pelikan and a Platinum 3776 model, bot nice but think I prefer the Pelikan.

I recently purchased a new stainless steel Parker Jotter pen and mechanical pencil set.

FUN FACT: Parker pens used to be made not too far from where I live. I believe my new Jotter was made in France.

The pencil accepts a .5mm lead; my old Jotter pencil used a much thicker 1mm lead. This means finer lines without the lead coming free of the clasping mechanism.

Parker no longer makes the extra-fine ink cartridge. I had been using OHTO PS-205NP Suki (extra-fine) .5mm G2 ('Parker-style') ballpoint pen refill. It is not in production in Japan; currently the only stock of this particular model of cartridge is in very limited quantities in the UK.

I settled for Monteverde P11 Soft Roll Extra-Fine Ballpoint Refill. Not as good as OHTO but better than the broad-tipped Parker cartridge which is standard equipment. Being left-handed, I feel the Monteverde scratches across even quality papers and has a tendency to very slightly blotch every so often. The ink dries fairly quickly so there are few smudges as my hand goes over that which I have just written.

For a cheap thrills, I recommend Sakura Pigma Micron 005 .2mm Needle-Tip. Somewhere between a graphic drawing and a technical pen. Very precise. And I look forward to receiving a Pilot Futayaku Double-Sided Brush Pen for formal notes and my signature.
    Last edited by Veronica T; 05-20-2014 at 09:57 AM.

..behind God's back.. and little bit to the left
    To this day I swear by Parker. It's been around for ages, and I have a Parker Vector (both ballpen and rollerball).
    "Lord,
    If I can't be skinny, please make my friends look fat". :D

Familiar Face
    Look on the Bay for Vintage Pelikan striated ballpoints.
    I have matching ones for my Pelikan Tortoise 400.
    They can be had for about $75. Very elegant looking.