Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage related self-businesses

One of the Regulars

Vintage related self-businesses

Hi ladies. I've been sewing for about 2 1/2 years, taking fashion design courses part-time and all. I think I'm pretty decent at it and would like to take a stab at selling some of my creations and hopefully maybe this could lead to some sort of self-business at least on a very small scale. My skills are not advanced right now but I can make fairly nice blouses and dresses off of commercial patterns, mostly vintage of course. Now I was wondering what is the copyright law on that? Are you allowed to sell garments made from a commercial pattern? Also, I know a lot of you ladies sell on easy so if anyone had some insight or tips on selling, that would be great help.

Hi Amie, sounds very exciting! I 'believe' you may sell the garments you make from sewing patterns as long as you don't try to take credit for the pattern/design. I read a really good article on sewing patterns and copyrights a few years ago but I can't find it now. I believe the copyright laws apply to the images on the pattern envelope and the pattern itself. I hope this is useful!
    Love, Marie-Anne

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar
    I don't think copy right applies to pattern if you sell single hand made pieces. For a factory produced run of 5000 blouses maybe...
    I assume you would use vintage pattern? It would something else to sell exact copies of stop staring dresses or something like this.

Start with a etsy shop ... and a blog (wordpress, blogger, tumblr) to spread the word about your clothes. I think it sounds like a great project.

Good luck!

PS: Sorry for interfering in the "Powder Room" but my girlfriend is a seamstress too.
    Last edited by Flat Foot Floey; 05-11-2012 at 05:17 AM.

As long as you don't actively market the brand name/envelope imagery of the actual pattern -- "Made From Simplicity 3901!" -- you should be all right. Simplicity, McCalls, Vogue, Butterick, and possibly a few other pattern companies still have active trademarks, and using their names/logos in your marketing might attract unwanted attention from intellectual-property lawyers. Avoid that, and it's unlikely anyone will bother you.
    Last edited by LizzieMaine; 05-11-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

"A List" Customer
    Most, if not all, modern patterns state that they are for home use and may not be used for commercial purposes, so it's illegal to use them to make garments for sale. If you are using a pattern that's out of copyright then you're free and clear! But otherwise you are breaking the law in most cases so you'll need to keep your head down and hope nobody notices if you're taking that route.

"A List" Customer
    Having said that, if you are good enough to make things for sale then you are good enough to create your own patterns and use those. Just use a commercial pattern as inspiratin or a base and turn it into something unique, then sell away.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar

When in doubt...add a bow.

It seems to me that if you are making garments that are pretty universal in nature, based on patterns that have been around for ages, made by many different manufacturers, then you shouldn't have issues selling small volumes of your work. Just how many original garments can be newly designed, especially witha vintage style?
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

If you find vintage pieces you adore, you can also create a pattern to base your pieces off of.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post

When in doubt...add a bow.
    This.
    Oh, and another thing. A LOT of European vintage patterns did not have their copyrights renewed, since publishers have gone bankrupt, magazines have ceased to exist, etc. Take a look around the European forums, people post a lot of copyright-free patterns. You're in the clear with those.
    Look your best - who said love is blind?
    Mae West