Advertisements
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOW about Fly Fishing? Let's see your outfits . . .

Advertisements
    Mike, Our friend and fishing buddy breaking in his new FED IV deluxe

Suspended
    I posted this on another thread, but here's my Akubra range hat doing what it does best - fishing for an audience - a last fall warmwater fishing outing a few weeks ago.
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Jake, it's Chinatown. [/FONT]

My Mail is Forwarded Here Mike in Seattle's Avatar
    Same here - mostly modern gear, and I have fun tying my own flies. Now even vests are considered too old fashioned - everyone use slings and chest packs. I needed a vest (our "uniform" as volunteer teachers at the local salmon hatchery) and my friends at Orvis said "A vest? Do you have a grandfather or something that's really old school about fishing? What next - a creel?" To which I had to honestly reply "I need the vest for some volunteer work, and I've already got three creels - Grampa's, Dad's and another I bought from Bean as a book rack in the guest room." Once he knew how a creel works, my 11 year old nephew thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    "Would you care for an olive? Auntie Mame says olives take up too much room in a little glass."

Suspended
    The problem with vests is that they too quickly become filing cabinets, weighing up to 30 lbs before you ever know it, and they can produce terrible back strain, also without you recognizing it right away. I have a very good friend who fishes out of his 30-lb. vest, has had rotator surgery even, and complains about back pain every time he fishes (with his TCR rod). Of course he always has everything he could possibly need - and then some.
    As I said earlier, I do use my vest as a filing cabinet - it's hanging on a hanger on a pegboard.
    The cane rod, the fishing bag with a wide canvas strap, it's all about slowing the whole process down, letting the rod do the work, and taking the (type-) A out of angler.
    The first person I ever saw use a bag (I was wadefishing from a fanny pack back then), held his rod and bag up in the air and back-stroked to the next gravel bar, and caught some more big bass. That's when I realized traveling light is the key.
    But the English bags with the wide canvas straps are superior (Brady, Chapman). If you grab the strap and slide it down in front, the bag will slide up your back and will stay there.

I've come full circle. I started fly fishing out of an old ArctiCreel with glass Shakespeare WondeRod. My next rod was an orvis Fullflex A. Yes, peer pressure and appearance is factor in all this. My first graphite rod was a super sweet Powell Silver Creek IM6 that my daughter still fishes - but part of the reason I bought it was being embarrassed of the downlocking seat on my Orvis glass rod. But after 40 years, I've made it back to preferring glass or cane and a fishing bag - and downlocking reel seats.

While I love my Brady and Chapman bags, you don't have to spring for $100 fishing bag - an army surplus medics bag will do the same basic job
    http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/stor...s_Shoulder_Bag

People also seem to want to bring up fly tying. I have friends who tie for fun, teach classes at FFF conclaves and pack stacks of fly boxes when they head out. Me, I tie flies hand to mouth, and believe the fly is just about being in the right ballpark.
    After 40 years of fly fishing and fly tying, I've pared my trout flies down to a half-dozen, my warmwater flies down to 3, and my inshore salt water flies down to 3. It's more often the fisherman than the fly who catches the fish.
    Last edited by bulldog1935; 11-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Suspended
    Happy New Year.
    I was out once last weekend catching dinks on dry flies, and it was a lot of fun.
    I went back this morning for a bruiser.
    Got my bruiser...

He came out of this little bitty pocket

I caught several others, all in riffle water today.

Not much for hatches, but saw a few caddis, BWOs and our interminable size 40 midges. Everything I caught today was on a swimming BWO.

It was a windy day, and I was out with a prewar Folsom Heddon 2f and prewar Young 16a marked for MC Thornburn Edinborough - nicely engraved with the first owner's initials.

My VS Journeyman is nicely broken in.

Very Nice fish! Where were you fishing?

Suspended
    Guadalupe River tailrace below Canyon Dam, Sattler, TX.
    It's the southernmost trout fishery in the US (not counting Hawaii). We have the single largest Trout Unlimited chapter, the only chapter that is also a state council, and it's the 3rd largest business unit in TU - right behind the New York state council. We give grants to other TU chapters for "rolling rocks" projects.
    Our fishery is listed in John Ross' book America's 100 Best Trout Streams.
    I fished with John when he was down many years ago. He loved our fishery so much we were also featured in his photo book, Rivers of Restoration.
    (between drought and flood, our fishery is in a near-constant state of restoration...)
    I was also on an episode of Trout Unlimited On the Rise, and fished on tv with Frank Smethurst.

we got a 3" dry snow this day - first dry snow I've ever seen in s. Texas

and the next day, it reached 70
    Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-02-2013 at 07:03 AM.