Page 76 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Engineer Boots, Harness Boots...

"A List" Customer
    Ok, here are some pics of the new Nomads. I'll add a better review sometime tomorrow - right now, I need some sleep!

The boots are brand new, fresh out of the box in these pictures - no wear, no oiling, no polish. I oiled them up after I took the pictures, and they are now a dark chocolate brown. I have done this enough that I know they will lighten back up in a few weeks. The oil will help them break in nicely, and by the time they have creased up, they should be somewhat lighter again.

Last edited by jimmer_5; 12-06-2012 at 12:37 AM.

"A List" Customer
    Here is one of the interesting things I noted - the Nomads use a Vibram 700 full length composition sole that has been cut down and thinned at the end. THe Wesco's in this picture use a true Vibram 705 half sole. I'm not sure why White's chooses to do this - it seems like more work. I also miss the "figure 8" stitching, but it's not a dealbreaker.

One of my initial concerns was that the distressed brown would be too close in color to the standard brown oil tanned leather. As you can see, they look quite different.

Finally, here are some pics of my original pair of Brown Nomads. They are breaking in quite gracefully. I have been pretty nice to these boots, and they don't show as much patina as my Wesco's. However, I have also had them less time. The uppers were somewhat stiff when I first received them, but they are softening nicely with wear. I am very pleased with how they look and feel thus far:

Last edited by jimmer_5; 12-06-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Jimmer, awesome pics and boots!

Do you think they might use the trimmed down 700 because the 705 isn't large enough?

Killer boots Jimmer!
    I originally wanted brown, then changed my mind to black for use on the motocycle and because I don't really have any
    black boots that I can wear every day.
    But these pix might sway me back to brown, or distressed brown.
    Could you take some "post oiling" pix if you get a chance please?
    What oil do you use anyway.
    Lenny

sorry, double post.

As a policy I'm opposed to pre distressed anything, but I must say jimmer, these are fantastic. They look a bit like horween's natural chromexcel. Can anybody confirm this?

One of the Regulars
    yes, what kind of oil on the new boots...nice thread...!

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Jimmer, awesome pics and boots!

Do you think they might use the trimmed down 700 because the 705 isn't large enough?
    Ishmael, the Wesco's next to them in the picture above are a size 13 - the sole on the Wesco (on the right) is a true Vibram 705. I am assuming that they do it because I don't think many people ask for the half sole - it's kind of an old-fashioned option. I would bet they just don't stock the less popular #705 half soles, and just cut down a #700 sole when they need one.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcrow82 View Post
    As a policy I'm opposed to pre distressed anything, but I must say jimmer, these are fantastic. They look a bit like horween's natural chromexcel. Can anybody confirm this?
    I have never liked "distressed" finish leather myself, but I really wanted a rugged leather in a lighter color. I will eventually try "Red Dog", but I ahve seen some examples where this leather looks kind like vinyl/plasticky. It's funny you mention the natural Chromexcel - that's what started this whole mess. I was just starting an order with Bakers for a black pair of Wesco Boss boots when I saw a picture of a pair of White's Nomad boots in Natural Chromexcel. I actually got to handle that pair of boots in person - the leather is beautiful, but I personally think Chromexcel is a little too soft and thin (5.5-6 oz) for boots. I wanted to achieve that same look in a more rugged 7-8 oz leather, so I gave the "distressed" leather a try. I still think the Natural Chromexcel is a little nicer looking, but this leather is thicker and stiffer. It should hold up better in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by pjstrass View Post
    yes, what kind of oil on the new boots...nice thread...!
    I am using Wesco Bee Oil. Wesco, White's, and Nick's will all sell you pretty much the same thing - the White's, Nick's, and Wesco boot "paste" are virtually indistinguishable. Use the oil to keep the boots supple and use the thicker waxier "Bee Seal" to make them repel water. The bee seal also darkens the leather and seems to moisturize it, but the Bee Oil really soaks in. I will post a picture, but the oil really ruins the charm of the distressed leather. Thankfully, they will lighten back up with a little time and wear.
    Last edited by jimmer_5; 12-06-2012 at 09:38 AM.

"A List" Customer
    So I called White's today to ask about the variance in fit between my new Nomad's and my original pair. They said that there have been no changes to the last used to to make the boots, so theoretically, both pairs should fit the same. They explained that sometimes the person making the boots doesn't pull the leather quite as tight over the last, and that can result in a looser fit. To their credit, they immediately offered to ship the boots back so they could take a look. They said they would either "adjust the fit" (it sounds like they remove the sole and fit them to the last again). They said they can also add a thin layer of leather to the insole to make them fit tighter - essentially the same ideda as adding a foam insole, but they can use a thinner piece of leather - the foam is about 0.150" thick. For now, I will just wear them and see how it goes. I don't particularly like using a foam insole or adding a layer of leather to the insole of the boot - it moves the foot upward, and I don't feel like the heel counter cups my heel as well. Smoke Jumpers don't use this kind of insole - I think they just throw it in because Wesco does the same thing. It does add some cushion, but I have always found my White's boots to be plenty comfortable without it.

In any case, I just wanted to explain that the sizing difference I noticed seems to be an anomaly. It's not a dealbreaker, just something I did not expect.
    Last edited by jimmer_5; 12-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.

"A List" Customer
    Perhaps this is unnecessary, but I thought I would drop a link into this thread - I received my second pair of White's Nomad Engineer boots the other day, and they look great. The distressed uppers, double midsoles, and Vibram half soles are a great combination. Here is the link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...d-review/page5