Never knew where the bits came from for the roof, how appropriate:
Liam O'Connor designed the memorial, built of Portland stone, which features a bronze 9-foot (2.7 m) sculpture of seven aircrew, designed by the sculptor Philip Jackson to look as though they have just returned from a bombing mission and left their aircraft.
Aluminium from a Royal Canadian Air Force Handley Page Halifax of No. 426 Squadron RCAF that had crashed in Belgium in May 1944 was used to build the roof of the memorial, which was designed to evoke the styling of the Vickers Wellington. The Halifax had been removed from a swamp in 1997 with three of the crew found still at their posts. They were buried with full military honours in Geraardsbergen and the remains of the aircraft were sent to Canada. Some of the metal was used for the restoration of a Halifax in Ontario, and the rest was melted down by the Bomber Command Museum of Canada. The Museum provided ingots for the memorial to commemorate the 10,000 of 55,573 Bomber Command aircrew killed during the war that were Canadian.