Thread: HMS Hood Bell To Be Recovered

HMS Hood Bell To Be Recovered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19044519

I am a bit conflicted about this report, my initial gut feelin is that it should remain where it is, undisturbed.

H.M.S. Hood's Bell

Yes, I feel conflicted as well about this story.

The U.S.S. Arizona's bells were removed form the ship. However, salvage work on the Arizona began while the ship was still smoking and the bells were above the water.

The MailOnline story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mark-1941.html

...says that H.M.S. Hood Association is fine with the operation.

Keeping the H.M.S. Hood's memory alive is, I think, ultimately for the best.

John

Yes, I believe it should remain in place. The Edmund Fitzgerald's bell was removed awhile ago and some of the family members weren't too keen on the idea.

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19044519

I am a bit conflicted about this report, my initial gut feelin is that it should remain where it is, undisturbed.
    Yes I agree with you there. I thought along similar lines when I heard that item on the news.

Familiar Face
    I hope that they dont bring the bell up. It is a war grave and nothing should be brought up.

Practically Family Treetopflyer's Avatar
    As a historian and a sailor I am a bit conflicted as well. But, I also understand what it could mean to the families. It is strange, but what basically amounts to a big chunk of brass, can bring so much emotion to people. It might be an opportunity to finally bring some closure to the families. If it was going to be sold at an auction, I would say absolutely NOT, but if it is going to be placed in a memorial, I think that it is the proper location for it. It will give future generations something to physically look at and reflect on. The ships bell is the symbolic heart of the ship. If it were placed in a proper memorial, the memory of the ship and her gallant crew would live on indefinitely; otherwise she would just be something talked about in history books and perhaps eventually fade away.