Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Coast Guard vs. Navy G-1 (G-1 experts, please help)

New In Town

US Coast Guard vs. Navy G-1 (G-1 experts, please help)

I've been interested in G-1s for a few years now, and in that time I've noticed that only the US Coast Guard G-1s are issued with hand warmer pockets. These are unobtrusive, since they are completely hidden behind the patch pockets on the front of the jacket. There are new Orchard G-1s listed on ebay, one without the fur collar (like an AN-J-3). While I can't quite make out the Mil-Spec on the tag in this jacket, another USCG G-1 just sold on ebay. It had the mouton collar and it's spec tag read:

Jacket, FLyer's, Intermediate, Type G-1
    Size - -
    MIL-J-7823E(AS)
    Orchard M/C Dist. Inc
    8415-00-286-7802
    DLA 100-86-C-0481

I know that MIL-J-7823E(AS) is the most current G-1 spec for the Navy, and that the G-1 jackets can now be made of goatskin or cowhide pressed to resemble the grain of goatskin. I'm hoping that the G-1 experts in the Lounge can educate me as to when the US Coast Guard began issuing G-1s to their aircrew. Does the mil-spec tag above hold any hidden codes designating it as a Coast Guard jacket or that it has hand warmer pockets?

If anyone has recently bought a Coast Guard (or Marine or Navy) jacket from Orchard Motorcycle Distributing off of ebay recently, could you please share some information and/or photo with us? I'm wondering if the cow hide would hold up as well as goat skin and how it affects the wearability of the jacket.

Thanks for any and all help!
    KELORGO

KELORGO, USCG aviation started, I believe, in 1916. And yes they have issued G-1s to the USCG aviators. I know they issued G-1(AN 6552) to USCG aviators in the early 40's, previous that period I'm not sure.
    I will be posting a thread about one of these jackets soon.
    However I have to confess that i never saw any G-1 (military-issued) jacket with hand warmers except for that Orchard jacket. Where you got this information about USCG G-1s have hand warmers?
    About the Orchard M/C Dist. Inc. I've heard something about they have continued producing 7823E(AS) jackets until some years ago under that contract of 1986. So maybe some Orchard jackets with that contract "DLA100-86-C-0481" aren't really made in 1986, maybe newer.

Here you can found a .pdf file with the 7823E(AS) spec from 1971:
    http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-J/

In this same page you can see and "Amendment 3" from 1984 to the 7823E(AS) spec. So, should exist the amendment 1 and 2, maybe there is the possibility to hand warmers.

New In Town
    Thanks, Aviator BRZ. I had no idea they issued G-1s to the USCG that far back. I don't know why, but I assumed they were a much newer issue. Ever since I've been interested in the G-1 I have read hundreds of threads online and have seen thousands of G-1s. Every issued G-1 that had/has hand warmer pockets has been a USCG jacket. I don't know if they were all Orchards or not, but I'll certainly make sure to keep this in consideration as I look at USCG jackets from now on.

I saw another FL thread about Orchard's A2 jackets wherein the Loungers reported that Orchard may just be using their old tags inside of newly produced jackets, but they aren't being issued right now. Maybe they are doing this with the G1?

I really look forward to your thread about one of the Orchard G-1s. Is yours one with the mouton fur collar or without? Do you think the Orchard cowhide is as nice as a goatskin G-1 (is it more or less substantial feeling when you wear it?)

KELORGO, Yes, I think the Orchard did that. Orchard M/C Dist. INC. had the contract of G-1 in 1986 along with the Brill Bros INC.
    But in 1987 only Brill Bros continued with the production of G-1 under the contract (DLA100-87-C-0739). So Orchard only produced military-issued G-1s in 1986. Anything made after that by Orchard, I believe, was not issued to any military arm.
    Actually I'll create a thread about an AN 6552 jacket from 40's issued to USCG, but it was not made by Orchard.
    About the type of leather, I'm not the best person to give you that opinion. I have G-1s with both, cowhide and goatskin, but can't aswer you this question with the same precision that some users here could answer. Some people here have A LOT more experience in types of leather, so I'll let to they give their opinion.

Both Navy and Coast Guard Aviators start their training in Pensacola, FL and get the same gear issued to them at the same place at the same time. The only difference is that the Coast Guard G-1s have USCG stamped in the wind flap. Here is a good website that shows some pictures of USCG Aviators from the 40s and 50s.
    http://navypilotoverseas.wordpress.c...ory/heicopter/

Quote Originally Posted by Treetopflyer View Post
    Both Navy and Coast Guard Aviators start their training in Pensacola, FL and get the same gear issued to them at the same place at the same time. The only difference is that the Coast Guard G-1s have USCG stamped in the wind flap.
    I agree. M422 and G1 spec are;

MIL-J-7823E(AS) 1971
    MIL-J-7823D(WP) 1966
    MIL-J-7823C (WEP) 1962
    MIL-J-7823B(WEP)1960
    MIL-J-7823A(AER) 1961
    MIL-J-7823(AER) 1951
    55J14 (AER) 1947
    AN-J3A 1943
    AN 6552 1943
    M-422A 1940
    M-422 1940

None of them have hand warmers. Regarding AN jackets, army-navy, it is not clear if they were actually issued to aviators.

BTW, does anybody know what are the differences betweenm-422 and m-422a?
    simply stated

Good question...
    One of the diferences I know is the pen/pencil pocket hidden under the front left pocket flap. M422 doesn't had it, and M422a had.
    Can't say another

New In Town
    Thanks Aerojoe and Treetopflyer. Treetopflyer, those pictures of are awesome. I learn something EVERY day on FL, and get to see some really neat jackets that I otherwise wouldn't as well!

New In Town
    U.S.Wings have USCG G1's (in goat) with handwarmers (way down on their G1 page), and apparently sell some to the government/military. I have had mine (48 Long) for a few years and I like mine. Don't get much chance to wear them in Florida though.

New In Town
    I'm still trying to get a definitive answer on USCG G1 jackets and hand warmer pockets. I was going to sign up for the Coastie's flight forum, but its not taking any new users right now. I'll report any news back to FL.