Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Denim x Outerwear Thread: Questions & Answers, Pics & Fits

The Denim x Outerwear Thread: Questions & Answers, Pics & Fits

Based on another thread about a specific pair of denim that steered and veered toward the world of denim at large, there seems to be a need for a "Denim Thread" here.

So, let's see what you got, what you're happy with, and what you're not. Even more important, let's see some pics and fits. Feel free to bring all your denim related "q's" and hopefully someone will have an "a" to match.

I will repost mine here then

I have some that got caught on film when taking pics of jackets.....

Tapered 634s
    Im gonna take new photos of these tomorrow, becasue they have been worn more and even washed once since that pic!

Nudie SlimJim DryJapan

Pure Blue Japan xx-003
    Have had these for about 10 months. Really nice slubby denim. Sized down because I thought they would stretch, but they didn't! Only now, after about 50 good wears, are they starting to give. No washes yet.

Looking good all over!

Thanks! And you too! Those Nudies got some crazy fades.

One Too Many
    Ishmael this was very nicely teed up I was right about you being the man for the job!

A question. I have a pal who lives in Tokyo and another who's moving out there in March. Hence a visit in 2013 is very much on the cards (if only to buy some good jeans ). Can anyone advise on where to buy nice denim in Tokyo please? Those two (my pals) won't have a clue

Thanks
    Schitz
    "Panicking is for amateurs and morons"

Well, if you give me a shout out when you're here, I'd be happy to show you around or point you in the right direction. For now, there are probably some other guides on the web, but I've found this to be a good one.

http://denimhunters.com/lifestyle/travel/tokyo

In Tokyo, there are really two spots: Ueno and the Harajuku/Shibuya/Omotesando triangle. Ueno is concentrated. The triangle is scattered boutiques.

The denim spot in Ueno is located along and below the Yamanote tracks between Ueno and Okachimachi stations. This is an old black market area from after the war that still remains a bit seedy and is also a mecca for ame-kaji (American casual). There you will find both Hinoya and Ueno-Amerika-ya. Both two of the better shops around for a wide selection.

In the Harajuku/Shibuya/Omotesando triangle you will find a number of boutiques run by denim makers. Pure Blue Japan, Warehouse, Studio D'Artisan, Real McCoys (i.e. Joe McCoys), Freewheelers. I'm sure there are others, but you would need to know where you want to go.

Hope that helps!

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Well, if you give me a shout out when you're here, I'd be happy to show you around or point you in the right direction. !
    Ishmael you're a gentleman, and yes that is all good info. Nice one
    "Panicking is for amateurs and morons"

OK all, here come the questions.
    I've been wearing jeans all my life, either Wranglers, Levi's, or lately Lees.
    I only wear the basic straight cuts.
    They look good with just about everything, wear like iron, and are worry free.
    Just wondering what all these other Japanese brands bring to the table other than added cost?
    Also, what the heck is selvedge?
    Comparison pix would be great.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

Here is my brown steerhide Highwayman with Bills' Khakis 14 oz. jeans.