Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Denim x Outerwear Thread: Questions & Answers, Pics & Fits

"A List" Customer
    The LVC reproduction 501s are selling for 215, whereas most Ironhearts sell for $400, or 250.

I appreciate the Lees are significantly cheaper, but I haven't tried them myself. Though I did have a couple of pairs of 101s a few years back that were nice.

Incidentally, I find the Tender back pockets work fine. And I don't mind the lack of arcs.

"A List" Customer
    If you're into heavy denim there's a two year abuse your jeans competition starting in April. Details have been posted at Superfuture, Indigo Roots and Ironheart.

Rivet and Hide are offering the Steel Feather 21 oz unsanforised jeans for a discount (use code HWDC2) to competitors, and Ironheart have a contest specific pair of 25 oz Beatle Busters. Unfortunately neither look like they'll work for me.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great reviews on here! Think we all can agree that there are a bewildering number of great jeans to choose from today. Great to see the different first hand accounts and views.

I've been really wanting a pair of IH's for a long time. I think the 634s are one the best denim and cuts out there. I just can't get past the arcs. It's silly, I know, but I wish they were symmetrical.

These are my favorite arcs. Jeans are from MOTOR, a new branch of MOTO Leather & Silver, one of the top Japanese makers of fine leather goods and shoes. If you're ever in Tokyo, definitely check these guys out. They only do a couple of jeans, but they have wonderful wallets, shoes, etc.

http://www.motostyle.jp/motor/motor-top.html
    http://www.motostyle.jp/leather-silver/moto-top.html
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/299228/l...ciation-thread
    Last edited by Ishmael; 11-12-2012 at 03:13 PM.

One Too Many
    Hi Graemsay

The 634XHSs I mentioned are $495 - that's 312...

LEE Japan 1930s stuff from Aero in 150....Less than half the price - for jeans (IMHO) just as good.

Looked at the "competition" blogs - gotta say, that is bizarre.

Here's a thing. Take a brand new pair of dry deadstock jeans. Soak them in warm water for five minutes. Put them on and sit down in them. Take some very fine grade sandpaper, and lightly rub wherever there are creases in the denim, along with the fronts down to your knees. Bottom of the back pockets, too. Take them off.Put 'em in a hot wash. Hey presto! The "Iron Heart" "I wore 'em for 12 months and then washed them" look....

It takes about two hours tops - and these guys are having a frigging competition?? Ah well. Takes all sorts
    Last edited by majormajor; 11-12-2012 at 03:20 PM.

"A List" Customer
    Yeah, the 634 XHS are really expensive. But they're relatively cheap compared to some brands...

As for the contest, I might be tempted for a giggle. But given my approach to denim care is to chuck it into the washing machine every few weeks and not get fixated by soaks, fancy shampoos, vinegar or only bathing them in the sea during high tide on a full moon, I almost certainly won't win.

Ishmael, Aero have a pair of half price Iron Heart 1955S with non-standard symmetrical arcs. But they're in size 30 (will stretch an inch or two) so might not be your size.

I could be down for some high moon denim sea bathing. Think I'll need something a little stronger than vinegar though.

Those Aero x IH look nice. But I can't fit into a 30. Selfedge has (or had) some IH with arcs more to my liking, but I refuse to pay an arm and a leg of markups to bring the jeans back to Japan!

One of the Regulars
    As I said, 634S poskets are very tight. They'll stretch a bit eventually. I don't carry much in my frontpockets, just some coins and a Zippo. If there is a flaw in 634S, it's how the front pockets are designed. Luckily there are other styles to choose...inside IH brand.

BTW, those Lee/Japan jeans Aero is carrying aren't heavy weight denim, they're around 13oz. Once you have had heavier jeans there is no turning back. Normal 13-14oz feels just flimsy, and I have Sugar Canes, Lee's (also the limited '66 101 "beatles" cut) etc. They just don't get worn much anymore.

Also check out Pike Brothers offerings....nice stuff.

and Ishmael, theres a reason why IH arcs are what they are. Levi's is very strict about copyright....
    Last edited by injunjack; 11-13-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Just saw those Pike Brothers on Silvetto. Look very nice. And, damn, Silvetto has an awesome selection. Looks like a fine shop.

I think you are referring to the fact that Levi's had IH change their arcs at some point due to alleged infringement or something of that nature, right? Still they could go symmetrical, no? Anyway, I'm not complaining. I know many people like their arcs. And I don't find them all that bad. But, to me at least, their standard arcs unfortunately turn a classic jean into something just a little too contemporary. Same with Flathead. I'm sure it won't stop me from buying at least one pair though.

I think the MOTOR denim I posted above are a damn good example of paying homage to Levis, but at the same time making a new mark!

One of the Regulars
    Ishmael, you can always take the arcs off, 5 min. job...And I agree on FH arcs. IH arcs have grown on me...

and I think I have seen similar arcs to MOTOR denim....on some very el cheapo low-end jeans, can't dig those, and further from Levi, the better, IMHO
    Last edited by injunjack; 11-13-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by majormajor View Post

Here's a thing. Take a brand new pair of dry deadstock jeans. Soak them in warm water for five minutes. Put them on and sit down in them. Take some very fine grade sandpaper, and lightly rub wherever there are creases in the denim, along with the fronts down to your knees. Bottom of the back pockets, too. Take them off.Put 'em in a hot wash. Hey presto! The "Iron Heart" "I wore 'em for 12 months and then washed them" look....

It takes about two hours tops - and these guys are having a frigging competition?? Ah well. Takes all sorts
    I tried that years ago, it doesnt produce the same result.
    Sandpaper also cuts the fibers (even if its fine sandpaper) so you most likely will get holes in some places.
    Yes you can get holes the normal way too, but it just doesnt look the same.