Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black shoe polish on Cordovan shoes?

I was a U.S. Marine, and then a police officer for nearly thirty years. Suffice to say, I've shined shoes a couple of times. I simply apply the polish (Kiwi brand) with a horse hair dauber, and let it dry for a minute. Then I use a stiff horse hair brush, and quickly run it back and forth over the shoes until the desired amount of *shine* is achieved. Frankly, I've never had the patience or seen the value in a spit/water shine, as the gloss doesnt last. Also, I use the polish which cooridnates best with the shoes I'm shining. That is to say, black polish on black shoes, cordovan polish on cordovan shoes... well you get it. I really think the *secret* to an excellent shine is to use a quality polish sparingly, brush with a stiff horse hair brush, and do the job frequently enough that the shoes never get rough looking in the first palce. Just my .02
    Best,
    Tom
    Hey, Gimme my hat!

Thanks Tom. I did some experimenting last night and found your advice to be true. Just use a lot of elbow grease with a good brush and it shines up good.
    Kind regards,
    Matt

Here's a little video on shoe polishing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeScJ_Hemno

"A List" Customer
    Earlier there was mention of using neutral polish. During the summer, or if for any other reason you will be wearing light-colored pants, it is a good idea to put a final coat of neutral polish over any colored polish so if any wax wears off onto your pants it will not show.

Thank you
    Kind regards,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Historyteach24 View Post
    Thanks Tom. I did some experimenting last night and found your advice to be true. Just use a lot of elbow grease with a good brush and it shines up good.
    Anytime! By the way, good luck with that custom hat from Cane!!
    Hey, Gimme my hat!