Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadstock 1940's Towncraft DB Suit - 46 Extra Long

Practically Family
    Home of the 2013 Sugar Bowl Champions and 2013 Men's National Basketball Champions!
    Since when is a 46L "Huge"? In basketball country it is normal size. --John
    LOUISVILLE, KY. 2013 AND 2014 BASEBALL TEAMS to College World Series GO CARDS!!

Not in the 40s. People back then were rather underfed on average. Plus, they weren't sitting all day munching junk food. More physical activity, less food and healthier food. I bet the percentage of obese people was much, much lower in the 40s than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudie View Post
    Not in the 40s. People back then were rather underfed on average. Plus, they weren't sitting all day munching junk food. More physical activity, less food and healthier food. I bet the percentage of obese people was much, much lower in the 40s than now.
    Rudie, I would say that, in the U.S., it wasn't so much an issue of folks being underfed or eating healthier foods so much as it was an issue of folks eating smaller portions. Take for example the quintessential American beverage, Coca Cola. Until the 1950s, Coke bottles were usually 6.5 ounces (~190 ml), which translates to ~80 calories; today the average American Coke bottle is 20 ounces (~590 ml), which translates to ~240 calories (while Coca Cola brought out the bigger "King Size" and "Family Size" bottles in the 50s, as the names imply, they were intended to share, not for a single person to consume in one sitting . . . ).
    Who says the golden era has to be tasteful and dignified?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahagonny Bill View Post
    Gorramit! I got the suit, but the jacket was too tight in the shoulders for me to wear.

I was tempted to hang onto it as a "If I loose 10 lbs it might fit" suit, but that never works. It is on it's way back to the seller who was gracious enough to accept a return. Keep an eye out for a new auction f the other bidder doesn't take the "Second Chance" offer.
    Sorry to hear it was too tight.

I could see from the measurements it could be tight in the shoulders. The cut of the suit makes a difference. Just like todays suits one manufactors cut is different from anothers.