Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Housework in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
    In the winter I have a problem with taking off/putting on cardigans and thick socks all the time. I have to take clothes off whenever I do housework because I get too hot and I have to bundle up whenever I sit down. I mean, scrubbing floors vs reading; you need two completely different outfits for that (not to mention when I'm cooking and the windows in the kitchen just steam up).

Am I the only one who has this problem?

I have a similar problem and wear the grungiest, most worn out garments for chore day. We live in a 3 floor townhouse style condo, so I have to lug the vacuum up and down 3 flights and the bathroom cleaning supplies up and down 1 flight. Our master bath is so small that I have to stand inside of the shower enclosure to clean the walls and then step out and contort around the toilet to clean the tub. Thrown in dusting the entire place and it's a sweaty endeavor.
    "Kids today, with their crazy music and automatic weapons." - Dick Stein

http://tenukihandcrafts.wordpress.com/

tenukihandcrafts on Ravelry

I'm still looking for some suitable flannel for slips. Here in St. Louis there are almost no fabric stores left in business. I pretty much have to order it online. All I can find is flannel with baby or pajama prints, or else plaids. I presume we're talking about a fine white or peach cotton flannel, no? Does anyone have any suggestions or sources? Thanks!

"I'll do it. Sounds like a new thrill."
    Flying Down to Rio (1933)

Used flannel bedsheets. Look at Goodwill or suchlike places -- they don't have to be perfect, because you'll be cutting them up.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by St. Louis View Post
    I'm still looking for some suitable flannel for slips. Here in St. Louis there are almost no fabric stores left in business. I pretty much have to order it online. All I can find is flannel with baby or pajama prints, or else plaids. I presume we're talking about a fine white or peach cotton flannel, no? Does anyone have any suggestions or sources? Thanks!
    I use lighter plaid flannel and just put a nylon slip over that. Most of my winter dresses and skirts are dark, so with a black slip it's hard to tell.

Joann's has neutral colored flannel, but it appears to only be sold in massive bolts. So, it exists someplace. The other idea I have is to see if there is a quilt store in your area? Quilters often use plain flannel for quilt backing. You could also call a quilting club in your area and see if they have any ideas for local stores.

I also second the bed sheets recommendation by Lizzie.
    Progress: Going from being able to "hear a pin drop" to "can you hear me now?"

Quote Originally Posted by St. Louis View Post
    If you're adventurous, you could overdye the duckies, bunnies and yodas with some RIT dye.
    "Kids today, with their crazy music and automatic weapons." - Dick Stein

http://tenukihandcrafts.wordpress.com/

tenukihandcrafts on Ravelry

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post
    I use lighter plaid flannel and just put a nylon slip over that.
    Seconded! During the winter, I also wear the ~$5 George brand tights from Walmart that come in black and nude. They're thick, hold up very, very well and are comfortably warm on all but the coldest, windiest days. I've also been able to darn the toes and heels when they've worn through, which really impressed me.
    Helysoune

When I wear vintage at home I wear 1940s style wide legged jeans, and a blouse or sweate, and penny loafers when I had them or boat shoes, or just socks

One of the Regulars therizyflapper's Avatar
    winter has killed my dessing up as well i used to wear my vintage all day everyday even to sleep, but idk since winter hit I have been so cold all I want to do is wear sweat pants and a T-shirt (ahhhh who am I??) and since i dont own any modern clothes of my own I have been wearing my boyfriends PJs aroud the house (blehh) any tips for this dame as well???? <3
    come chatt with me my fellow loungers, i made a place where we can all chatt blog http://theritzyflapper.blogspot.com i hope to see all my lounger friends there
    And if you love the 1920's like myself i invite you to my new forum i just added to my blog that mainly focuses on the 1920's http://theritzyflapper.blogspot.com/p/speak-easy.html I hope to see some fellow lounge members there as well :)

Quote Originally Posted by therizyflapper View Post
    winter has killed my dessing up as well i used to wear my vintage all day everyday even to sleep, but idk since winter hit I have been so cold all I want to do is wear sweat pants and a T-shirt (ahhhh who am I??) and since i dont own any modern clothes of my own I have been wearing my boyfriends PJs aroud the house (blehh) any tips for this dame as well???? <3
    Please see above for winter clothes I wear. Also for pjs Victoria secret has some cute long sleeve and pants sets in flannel and satin.
    "After all, a girl is - well, a girl. It's nice to be told you're successful at it.”
    ~ Rita Hayworth

I just wear my regular vintage dresses (of course my slip underneath), a sweater and some slippers in the house. My house registers about 65 degrees in the winter, so I don't need much more than that. When I go out, I switch to stockings and my vintage-y winter booties.

"Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen