Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ralph Lauren Leather jackets

Ralph Lauren Leather jackets

I've been checking out some Ralph Lauren jackets online and ebay. They look real good style wise, they are way overpriced retail, but they can be had for a reasonable price on the secondary market or last years stuff. I'm wondering if anyone knows about the quality of their jackets? Are they as good as Schott, Vanson, Aero? They cost a lot more than those brands I'm just curious. I already have Schott 141, Aero FQHH on the way, and I'm going to visit Vanson in the next couple months to check them out.

In my opinion, the RL jackets (leather) are just no match for Aero or Vanson. As for Schott, they have slightly different ranges of jackets, but if you are talking about the made in USA ones, I don't think RL jackets can match them either. Yes, most of the RL jackets are well made, but in terms of the leathers that they use, they are mostly cowhide or just sheep skins. They are obviously no match to the FQHH from Aero or the ultra thick competition leather of Vanson.
    At the end of the day, they are aiming for styles and comfort more than anything else, these jackets do not usually develop any characters like the premium brands that you have mentioned, that is why used Schott/Vanson/Aero can still command good second handed prices.
    Last edited by Justhandguns; 12-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Call Me a Cab
    I have a jacket by them and have seen their stuff a lot. It's high end mall quality, an overpriced fashion label. Quality wise they're 50 percent of an Aero or 60 percent of a Vanson IMO.
    Last edited by Seb Lucas; 12-06-2012 at 04:28 AM.

There's an RRL - Buzz Rickson A-2 collab that I find fascinating. Retail is $2400. Two are on Ebay.
    Last edited by GHQ1; 12-06-2012 at 09:46 AM.

One Too Many
    Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHQ1 View Post
    There's an RRL - Buzz Rickson A-2 collab that I find fascinating. Retail is $2400. Two are on Ebay.
    When there are other manufacturers selling better quality highly accurate reproductions of this model jacket custom made to fit..... for MUCH less.... I just can't understand the market for this item.

RL, Polo, et. ux, all try to duplicate (and bastardize) the designs of the handful of companies that are known for making real-deal leather jackets. High end Mall Quality is about the most accurate description of what people over-pay for. I won't go so far as to say their jackets are junk but I would rather pay for the real deal, wear it and make it mine than over pay for inferior quality, workmanship and pre/post sale support.

One of the Regulars
    http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/Pol...84skuKINGBROWN

This one is overpriced shyte. You don't always get what you pay for, especially with a name like Ralphie Boy's. Pooftah. Aero, Vanson, Lost Worlds, the real deal. Ralphie . . . wannabe poser in the leather world. Nice hide in the linked image though. The stitching will fall apart within a few years, I would wager to guess. And just look at that awful collar. Ugh.
    Last edited by Hammer Down; 12-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1avrgjoe View Post
    I've been checking out some Ralph Lauren jackets online and ebay. They look real good style wise, they are way overpriced retail, but they can be had for a reasonable price on the secondary market or last years stuff. I'm wondering if anyone knows about the quality of their jackets? Are they as good as Schott, Vanson, Aero? They cost a lot more than those brands I'm just curious. I already have Schott 141, Aero FQHH on the way, and I'm going to visit Vanson in the next couple months to check them out.
    I must say that I have seen some RL jackets on line that have intrigued me.
    A friend of mine bought a barely used RL cafe style jacket from Ebay several years ago at a significant discount..but still kinda expensive($750..if I remember correctly). It had a very nice semi distressed finish to the hide that didn't look phony as most others do. It was rather lightweight and relaxed as far as hide goes. Seemed well made. However..normally wearing a size 42..the 42 RL required that he wore the jacket with the sleeves pushed up(like a fashion jacket) because they were just too short. Prices do seem out of line for a non custom jacket. I'm not entirely sure..but I think all they offer is standard sizing. I suggest trying on a Vanson!
    HD

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    This one is overpriced shyte. You don't always get what you pay for, especially with a name like Ralphie Boy's. Pooftah. Aero, Vanson, Lost Worlds, the real deal. Ralphie . . . wannabe poser in the leather world. Nice hide in the linked image though. The stitching will fall apart within a few years, I would wager to guess. And just look at that awful collar. Ugh.
    Not everyone wants to wear a briefcase on their backs, I had a Vanson Model B and it wore like a straight jacket, I liked it, but can see why others wouldn't want it. A lot of folks like the fashion leather and buy just on looks.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Sloan1874's Avatar
    I think the thing that kills me about the likes of RL and co, is that they're so flimsy for such much money. My road to leather Damascus came after I bought a jacket in the Hugo Boss sale. It was a nice grey, soft leather field jacket thing, cut from 650 down to 370 - well, it seemed like a deal at the time - so after much humming and hawing, I bought it.
    Anyway, a week later, I pulled it on for the first time to go out and walked past the bedroom mirror, only to notice a red felt-tip 'tick' on the arm. It was the height that you wouldn't really notice in the shop - too busy looking at the silhouette, girl that I am - but plain as day there it was: an unwanted Nike swoosh left there by an over-zealous shop assistant while marking the jacket down.
    Was quite upset about this, but I liked it and so I did bit of reading, then had a go at taking it off with baby wipes in hope that the alcohol can lift felt tip from leather. Unfortunately, while it faded the mark slightly, not enough. So back to shop it went, trying to stop it from getting wet on the way for fear of water stains, where I received an effusive apology from the manager and my money back.
    Last edited by Sloan1874; 12-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.