Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: whats everyones opinion on 100%wool fedora's?

I agree. The soft felt wool that I posted above has a some what rubbery feel (it had to be machine blocked) but the density / finish is similar to the wool Melone I posted (this is probably my favorite to wear). It's a nice hat even for that time period.
    Last edited by mayserwegener; 01-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mayserwegener View Post
    . I think the characteristics work better for stiff felt hats but they are major lint collectors.
    Steve, well said. I couldn't agree more!!!

Wool hats are great if they're beanies in the winter.
    FS on eBay!
    Dobbs Americana still available
    "I have recently acquired a new hat of such ferocity that it has been running my whole life for me. I wake up in the morning thinking, 'Who shall I wear my hat at today?'"
    --Katherine Whitehorn

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    Getting back to the basics...each has it's place.
    Advantages Fur:
    Longer wearing
    Better feel
    Generally better quality from better makers
    Can be blocked and is easier to custom fit

Advantages Wool:
    Lower cost
    Crushable
    Allows a new hat wearer to see what style they like or dislike
    Can be treated for water resistance [Scotchguard, etc]

I have both and I think both have their uses. My wool ones see more wear because I wear them for work and they get abused occasionally and I don't want a $100 fedora ruined by some idiot. [I'm a Parole Agent, for the record]. Just like there are some fountain pens I will carry daily and some that are reserved for the weekend.

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster" …
    I've come across a few vintage (30s/40s) British and French wool fedoras, and they all seem to have kept their shape nicely. My first experiment with hats, way back in the day, was a modern wool felt I got in Filene's, and it was a disaster. After a couple of wears it had completely lost its shape, the brim was awful and floppy.

The vintage ones (one of which I still own and wear regularly) are fine. Denser, heavier and with less of a fine finish than fur, they look cheaper. But perfectly serviceable vintage fedoras.
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

I personally don't own any wool hats because I prefer fur felt. I have seen a couple off modern wool fedoras from Goorin Brothers that I liked any may purchase in the future.

My thought, however, is that a wool hat you like and frequently wear is better than any fur felt hat that collects dust on the shelf and never sees any head time . Then again, this is just my opinion.....

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    I personally don't own any wool hats because I prefer fur felt. I have seen a couple off modern wool fedoras from Goorin Brothers that I liked any may purchase in the future.

My thought, however, is that a wool hat you like and frequently wear is better than any fur felt hat that collects dust on the shelf and never sees any head time . Then again, this is just my opinion.....

Hutch
    Hi Hutch

I think that the majority opinion on the lounge is that if you have a wool hat that you like and wear frequently, you should buy one JUST LIKE IT in Fur Felt because you'll be wearing it frequently for a lot more years.

Just m $0.02.
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1961MJS View Post
    Hi Hutch

I think that the majority opinion on the lounge is that if you have a wool hat that you like and wear frequently, you should buy one JUST LIKE IT in Fur Felt because you'll be wearing it frequently for a lot more years.

Just m $0.02.
    Hi MJS,
    Great point. It took me about 2 years and about 8-9 hats before I realized my own personal style preference. Owning fur felt hats allowed me to reshape some of them to what I liked. Something that I may not have been able to do had they been wool hats.

Hutch