Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WW2 RAF Coastal Command Hood.

New In Town

WW2 RAF Coastal Command Hood.

WW2 Coastal Command Irvin. Replacing a missing hood.

Earlier posted on the WW2 site I have been advised to post it here so details as follows

This is an appeal for help with some measurements taken from an RAF WW2 Coastal Command Irvin hood. I recently purchased a size 6 Jacket [small grubby label tells me that] the hood of which has been cut off leaving just the short yellow collar. Uncommon larger size but not uncommon to find the hoods removed I understand. As I can't find any manufacturer who will make a replacement I have decided to make one myself. Devising a pattern is proving difficult and so far has been done on the basis of some excellent photographs on this site but if some kind person out there would provide me with a couple of crucial measurements and details I think I can do it.

Question one. Main measurement I need is the length of the edge of the front of the hood from the top of one half of the zip to the other ?

Question two. Looking at the hood from the back the two panels either side of the central seam each have a short seam at an angle from the main seam covering what I take to be a closed triangular cut out to give the hood curvature. Along the main seam how far up the panel are those cuts and still following the main seam what is the measurement from that cut to the front of the hood ?.

Final Question Three, are the two central panels the same width along their whole length.

If you aren't familiar with the jacket type all this will seem as clear as mud, and about as interesting !, but I know there are experts on this forum who can provide the information I need and I would be most appreciative of it.

Thankyou in advance

Last edited by rick howarth; Today at 04:00 PM.

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    I'll have to dig mine out, but I'll help you out in the morning. I'll bet the size of the hood is proportional to the size of the collar seam - a size 0-1 like mine will have a significantly smaller hood than a size 6! I'm sure if other members chime in with their measurements we should be able to run up a pattern for you, based on a proportional system.

Note: it won't be easy to source the right kind of sheepskin, the proper waterproofing, or the seam binding calfskin, but good luck!
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

"A List" Customer
    Aero made a reproduction Coastal Command jacket for Nigel Cabourn a year or two back. I don't know if it was an accurate reproduction, or whether they would make up and attach a new hood for you, but it would be a starting point.

Though I'd be inclined to leave the jacket in its cut down state.

One Too Many
    Rather than tackle it yourself, why not contact Jon at Aces High (http://www.aceshighjackets.com/)? His Irvins are really excellent and he might be willing to try a collar.
    Cheers
    Ian

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemsay View Post
    That's an awful replica - it bears little resemblance to a CC Irvin.

I had an original Coastal Command Irvin that also had the hood trimmed to a collar. It was a professional job and all the seams were taped just like the rest of the jacket as though it was done during the period. The edges still had traces of the yellow paint or whatever the colouring of the hood were.
    I have seen a couple and the hood was painted a bright yellow, a bit like most wet weather gear. cant comment on waterproofing but the body of the jackets always looks normal to me.
    Mine was a dead ringer for a normal Irvin in the body construction, close curled fleece, four panelled front/back, a British DoT or Lightning zip(cant remember).
    Why not contact Andrew S on here, he seems to be the local expert on British flying jackets, or, I see you are in the UK so maybe it it worth trying to track down Stephen Silburn, he is near Colchester and his speciality was the repair of British flying equipment.
    If I find a pic I'll post it.
    John

I'll check the information later today from a CC jacket that I have at home.
    Andrew

New In Town
    Many thanks Andrew, that would be really appreciated. I was already aware of your expertise in this field before I enrolled here in fact it was in the hope of your input that I joined. Since I bought the jacket I have thought a lot about how to approach the construction in fact it's become an obsession. I have made a pattern but without those measurements I doubt its accuracy.

New In Town
    Thankyou John, the remaining short collar left on mine still has the original crackled and weathered yellow paint and when I have finished the hood I intend to try to match that finish.

New In Town
    Ian I did try Aero here in the UK but didn't even get a reply although looking at their website they seem to be facing something of a management crisis and are finding it difficult to fulfill existing orders