Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lindbergh Case: Your views?

Practically Family
    As an aside, while eating breakfast one morning in the 1980s, I realized I had experienced some sort of dream, that Hauptman's execution had just taken place.
    That night, or maybe the next, I went to bed and rewound whatever relaxing, lightweight old radio show I had already fallen asleep to, at least once. Maybe "Fibber McGee and Molly" or Fred Allen...
    This time, I wasn't so tired, and I found out the OTR host had, on that occasion, come up a bit short of material for his program. So as filler, he had played a half-dozen interesting clips of the familiar NBC chimes. And one of them was the first announcement of Hauptman's execution.

my problem with all of this, is that Hauptman barely spoke English - so couldn't have been involved in the ransom demands..........

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by roadierfl View Post
    my problem with all of this, is that Hauptman barely spoke English - so couldn't have been involved in the ransom demands..........
    Unless he had assistance, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCairo View Post
    Unless he had assistance, of course.
    True, but there's no evidence to support

Hauptmann spoke English quite fluently, according to the testimony of his wife and his own testimony on the witness stand. He still *thought* in German, which caused his speech to seem halting and slow, but he had no trouble making himself understood. The ransom notes were, in the unanimous opinion of those who studied them, written by someone whose first language was German, and was still thinking in that language.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Was there a psych evaluation of Hauptmann done at the time?

Sorry - somehow I managed to make a double post. Feel free to delete.

A somewhat limited evaluation was done by Dr. Dudley Schoenfeld, the psychiatrist who had worked up the profile of the kidnapper over a year before Hauptmann was arrested -- predicting that the criminal would be a German-born carpenter or machinist with a meticulous but secretive personality and a criminal past. Schoenfeld pushed unsuccessfully for the commutation of the death sentence so he could do a more thorough evaluation of Hauptmann after he was convicted.

Schoenfeld's book, "The Crime and the Criminal" is fascinating reading -- it's a combination of a psychological profile of Hautpmann and an examination of the trial from a psychological perspective.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

I wish I knew more about the case, and after reading through this thread, I think I'll do some more research. Thanks for posting!
    "I don't slap so good around this time of the evening."

Lizzie - Do I recall correctly that you have/had a relative who was originally involved in the Lindbergh case?