Advertisements
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the Pressure Cooker!

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar

In the Pressure Cooker!

Advertisements
    I was wondering if many of the Loungers either currently use or recall family or friends using a pressure cooker for preparing family meals. My mom & dad got one for a wedding present from my dad's aunt in 1950 and as a kid my mom made amny fine meals in that thing. It was big - bigger than most i have seen lately, rounded and had a seperate weight for over the steam nozzle port thingy. My mom would cook and the weight would dance making a great shoosha-shoosha noise. From pork chops with potatoes and kraut to some awesome pot roasts. That thing made some fine cooked meals. Smoked butt with winter veggies - top notch.

Anyone else recall the pressure cooker?
    Blue Skies!

"A List" Customer I Adore Film Noir's Avatar
    This looks familiar:

Boy, did I hate that thing, it was so noisy and I was always waiting for it to explode.

I don't think Mom liked it much, either, she didn't use it often.
    Vintage is always in style

Practically Family Salty O'Rourke's Avatar
    My mom used one, more for canning than cooking although I recall her preparing pot roasts in it if time was of the essence. I had one right after I finished college and struck out on my own, but haven't used one in years.
    "Well I'm goin' to town buddy; can I bring you somethin' back?
    A pint of good corn liquor and a John B Stetson hat"
    - Muleskinner Blues

I have an old one, and an electric one.
    The electric one (from Presto) is much safer. LOL
    In fact I used it Christmas Eve, to finish cooking a beef brisket I smoked for over an hour.
    Chili, stew, chicken breasts, and especially roast beef, all of it comes out good and in half the time.

This was a staple appliance when I growing up. Tough cuts of steak would be cooked up to a more tender quality. I thought pressure cookers had been outlawed or something. Replaced by modern convenience prepared foods, perhaps...
    Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine.

Colonel Sanders built his entire fortune on a pressure cooker.
    Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. -- Clifford Odets

Quote Originally Posted by Wally_Hood View Post
    This was a staple appliance when I growing up. Tough cuts of steak would be cooked up to a more tender quality. I thought pressure cookers had been outlawed or something. Replaced by modern convenience prepared foods, perhaps...
    LSS, my wife and I both work, and when we get home neither one of us wants to cook.
    One of us has to be the adult, and fix something.
    To be serious, I have numerous counter top appliances for this very reason, (rotissere, nuwave oven, pressure cooker) and I have pages and pages of recipes for each appliance, depending on the meal I want to fix.
    The most amount of time a meal takes? 1hr (for roast), all others 30 minutes start to finish.
    The pressure cooker has it's advantages, such as tenderizing tough meat, and not drying it out. Then again, unless you sear the meat (chicken, pork, and beef) it comes out "greyish." So I sear boneless skinless chicken breasts on all sides, then put it in the pressure cooker
    for 12 minutes to make chicken sandwiches. Throw in a few ingredients I have written down, and you have a Chick-Fil-A sandwich, minus the frying. Yes the Col made his fortune in a pressure cooker, but from what I remember reading it was more of a pressure fryer. Those are commercial for the most part. With a home pressure cooker, you never want to attempt to fry something in it, unless you want the lid wedged in your ceiling.
    While I was reluctant at first to use one, now I try to cook in it at least once a week, including a few successful attempts at making cheesecake in it.
    Looks like this one...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gregg Axley; 01-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    Colonel Sanders built his entire fortune on a pressure cooker.
    The idea of deep frying under pressure is a wild one. A friend of mine told me of a girlfriend he had at college whos' brother had his face swiped off when the lid blew off one of them at the KFC he worked at. They reconstructed his face but his sister said he never really looked they way he did before the accident.
    Blue Skies!

That's why they don't sell one of these friers for home use.
    With the model I have, I'm sure you could remove the lid while it's pressurized, but you'd need the build of a professional wrestler to do it.

When I make chili I laugh at danger, though death is my co pilot and the devil dances on my pressure regulator.

LOL not really. I am a fan of the pressure cooker, and use mine regularly. In 40 years have never had a fatality.

I like mine best for soups, stews, and boiled vegetables especially hard to cook ones like beans, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beets, rutabagas.

Beans and ham hocks, bean soup, chili, beef and barley, beef stew are all a breeze. I can step in the kitchen door with a sack of groceries in my arms and be sitting down to home made beef stew in 45 minutes.
    Last edited by Stanley Doble; 01-05-2013 at 11:30 AM.