Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frye Harness Boots - What color should I buy?

Frye Harness Boots - What color should I buy?

Howdy All,

I'm want to buy the Frye Harness 12R boots. I'm a guy in my 30s that rides a vintage motorcycle. I'm into the 1940s motorcycle gang look: boots, cuffed jeans, tight shirts, scruff, tattoos. (your basic hipster)

I'm having trouble deciding on the color. I'm looking at black, and brown. I'm asking people to post photos of their harness boots so I can see how the leather breaks in and looks after some wear. I'm also curious what clothing people wear with their harness boots.

Thanks!
    Last edited by VictorShadow; 01-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.

"A List" Customer
    I have an old pair of Frye Belted Harness boots. I ended up cutting off the harnesses, and they are on their second sole, but they have been a nice pair of boots for the money. Shop around - I would hope to pay under $200 for these. They are made in the USA (unlike some of the Frye boots these days) and use real stacked leather heels. I have looked at a few made in Mexico Frye boots, and wasn't impressed, so check the country of origin when looking at Fryes. I think the USA made pieces are better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorShadow View Post
    ... I'm a guy in my 30s that rides a vintage motorcycle. I'm into the 1940s motorcycle gang look: boots, cuffed jeans, tight shirts, scruff, tattoos. (your basic hipster)
    Given this, then any color as long as it is black....When in my mid-30's I rode a restored Triumph. Modern helmets, boots & jackets just didn't look right. I went old school skid lid & black leather cafe-racer which meant black boots...
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

Practically Family
    Home of the 2013 Sugar Bowl Champions and 2013 Men's National Basketball Champions!
    If you wanted engineers to match your look I would say black, but I believe the Frye harness boot looks better in the standard dark brown. Had both colors but sold the black pair. The dark brown is more versatile on other days when not riding.
    LOUISVILLE, KY. 2013 AND 2014 BASEBALL TEAMS to College World Series GO CARDS!!

I believe this is the pair that I own http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-b...rness-12r-wide They have an oily finish and look almost black when freshly oiled. Damn tough boots BUT I am not overly impressed with the quality of the internal construction. Personally, I probably wouldn't buy Frye again. There are better made boots but they often come at a higher price.

Practically Family
    Home of the 2013 Sugar Bowl Champions and 2013 Men's National Basketball Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublegun View Post
    I believe this is the pair that I own http://www.thefryecompany.com/mens-b...rness-12r-wide They have an oily finish and look almost black when freshly oiled. Damn tough boots BUT I am not overly impressed with the quality of the internal construction. Personally, I probably wouldn't buy Frye again. There are better made boots but they often come at a higher price.
    I totally agree! Frye are nice for the money and the deals, but they are not Wesco's or Whites Nomads or Vibergs or the price! We could take this thread elsewhere but it has already been.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I still haven't made up my mind about the color. I would love to see photos if anyone want to post them.

does the black leather age differently than the brown?

Practically Family
    I have never noticed a difference. They both age well. One thought is to check Ebay. A nice Frye harness boot from Zappos is $278, Wesco will be twice that from BBB. These boots appear slightly worn on Ebay and can be picked up a lot cheaper. These boots are popular on Ebay so you have to be quick but you can get a good buy and then decide if later to buy new.. My first "fancy boots" were Frye years ago and they are good for their price range, wore well, and and I loved them.

Get a light colored boot, wear them for a while and then stain them to a darker shade.

Frye boots used to come in a number of lighter shades than they currently offer. The technique is to get a lighter shade that you feel comfortable with, then after the boot has been broken in, maybe after a winter of trudging through the snow, when the boot starts to show some surface wear and tear, when the epidermis is showing through, you'll know when to go to the next step. Then you get a bottle of Fiebling's Antique Leather Stain (I suggest Medium Brown) or some plain old brown or cordovan paste shoe polish and put a coat on the boots. Then wipe it off leaving a thin coat overall and a darker coat will remain on the scuffs and in the cracks and crevasses.

After this process, your Frye boots will have a unique deeply grained, two-tone look.

And, best of all, your buddies who are stuck with dull monochromatic black or mud-colored brown boots will eat their hearts out with jealousy.
    Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity...