Advertisements
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird and Forgotten Movies

WARNING "SPOILER" for "The Beguiled" in this post...errr...I think.

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid
    one film that always seemed to be on english TV when i was a nipper (in the 70s-early 80s) was 'The Beguiled'. clint eastwood is a wounded civil war soldier who holes up in a boarding school for girls. well, you can imagine the sexual tensions that might ensue. i have vivid memories of watching this movie on my black and white portable TV in my room with the sound turned down low so my parents wouldn't hear.

Lol...as I recall things didn't end up well in the end for Clint. Care for some mushrooms with that meal?

A few "different ones" stand out for me.

The first is "The Big Blue" Directed by Luc Besson, with Jean-Marc Barr, Rosanna Arquette and Jean Reno. Its about a open diver (one breath and go as deep as you can) his lifelong rival/friend. His sort of half man half fish nature and how his family actually might be dolphins. Very beautifully shot and interestingly acted, but 95% of the people that watch it look at me strangely and so..."HUH?" when its over.

The second is "Babette's gastebud" aka "Babette's Feast". A Denmark import film with subtitles only...about the liberating affect of good food...shot in a 10 building village in the hinterlands of Denmark. BTW it won the Best Foreign Language Film Acadamy Award.

And lastly "Brotherhood of the Wolf". How can you beat a French Kung Fu Native Americian Horror Saga set in revolutionary France? With Monica Bellucci as a prostitute hitwoman ...for the Vatician! (carfeul all...she is very naked in this one!...) Weird...well perhaps to some..but I loved it! Oh...if you watch it don't use the dubbed version. The french with subtitles is MUCH better.

Incurably Addicted John in Covina's Avatar
    WHo's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?
    Blue Skies!

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator Jack
    I just watched "The Assassination Bureau" with Diana Rigg, Oliver Reed, and Telly Savalas. Not a great picture, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
    i have to second the recommendation for "The Assassination Bureau." It's long been a favorite for me, but then again i had a schoolgirl's crush on Oliver Reed and he's rather handsome in the film.

Another odd film for the ranks: "Photographing Fairies"
    See the IMDB information here.
    It's the story of a photographer during the post WWI era who goes around debunking photographs of ghosts, fairies, et cetera. Then he finds a photo that he cannot debunk and the weirdness ensues. Very strange, very beautiful film with a haunting soundtrack.
    Ms. Lily

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and becoming."
    -Mryna Loy-

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    My vote for the wierdest has to be Consuming Passions (1988). I am not going to elaborate but rent it and laugh. Don't let the title give you the wrong idea. It is not one of those movies.

Regards to all,

J
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

WoeSis - An interesting companion piece to "Photographing Fairies" worth seeing is "Fairy Tale: A True Story".

This is another crack at the Cottingley Fairies Hoax(?) made in about 1996 that takes a different approach. And it has great cameo peformances by Peter O'Toole (as spiritualist Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) and Harvey Keitel (as spiritualist-debunker Harry Houdini), who are both drawn into the argument about the photos' "reality".

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatra
    .....Simple...and goofy.....
    That would also apply to Destiny Turns on the Radio.....

...and you can add wierd to the point of muddled, too! (Just look at the cast.)

I Loved It!
    The subject was booked under Section 601: 'In danger of leading an idle, dissolute, or immoral life.'
    ~ Sgt. Joe Friday

Gone Home
    I will go to my grave insisting that the worst film of all time is BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL (1984). It's worse than forgotten: it was hardly ever known.

Blood Circus ©1985
    Only three people showed up to the premiere: an extra and two movie critics

You might consider this one for the worst: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0088824/

http://www.geocities.com/santogoldmuseum/

http://infomercial.tvheaven.com/santogold.htm

Gone Home
    The problem is that no one can see it!