Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkening a leather jacket

New In Town

Darkening a leather jacket

I've been researching threads here about conditioners and darkening. Most conditioners, it seems, will darken temporarily, as I would have expected. And I've seen one or two mentioned that do not darken.

Well, I'm looking at an old jacket on eBay. And if I get it, I'd like to bring some "life" back into the leather and darken it.

What conditioner do you recommend for "permanent" or "long term" darkening?

Oh, it's front quarter horsehide. Here's a photo...

Spasibo.
    Last edited by Nathan Flowers; 05-19-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Title specificity

Quote Originally Posted by Physicist View Post
    I've been researching threads here about conditioners and darkening. Most conditioners, it seems, will darken temporarily, as I would have expected. And I've seen one or two mentioned that do not darken.Well, I'm looking at an old jacket on eBay. And if I get it, I'd like to bring some "life" back into the leather and darken it.What conditioner do you recommend for "permanent" or "long term" darkening?Oh, it's front quarter horsehide. Here's a photo...Spasibo.
    Russian? Welcome. Water based will be temporary. Those like Pecards will keep a darker look longer. Don't overdo it though. Ishmael mentioned something a while back. Mustang Cream or something. But only available overseas from what I saw. Some if the others will have other ideas. Good luck!

Hydrophane advertises a leather darkening oil in addition to its regular oil. I have tried it on a saddle that was splotchy with rain discoloration. I found it took several coats to make a difference.

I think an alternative would be to give the jacket a treatment or two of Pecard conditioner. It will bring the leather back to life. Of course you will lose some of the patina, but the finish will come alive.

Butte guessed Russian, but based upon your use of the English language in your post, I am saying the Georgia that is to the South of Tennessee. English, I think, is your native language (maybe not the Queen's English, but a close derivative). But if you are Russian, you will be the first in this section that I can remember.

Wherever you are from, welcome to the Lounge--belatedly. PC.
    Nothing matters much and most things don't matter at all.

Spasibo. "Thank you" in Russian

Mustang Paste. That's what I'm (very sparingly) using.

I'd second those who recommend Pecards.
    Just give a light coating , and personally I leave it to soak in as long as it takes ,
    rather than polishing it off the next day.

Practically Family
    Don't think people from Georgia like to be thought of as Russian. They were at war with them a couple of years ago.

I've used Hide Food on my jackets for decades, and used it on my leather car seats too. It was made by Connolly's who supplied Rolls Royce with leather and rejuvenated RR seats, or Connolised them, until they went bust a decade or so ago. The product is still made to the same formula by another company now.

Horween suggest Pure Neats Foot oil for the best conditioning and darkening

One of the Regulars
    Pecards works well, and they have one that is tinted brown that will darken a bit more. I have heard that Neats foot Oil can deteriorate cotton thread, but I have never seen it happen, and have no idea how long it would take to cause any damage, if at all.

B

The pure stuff doesn't do any harm but boy does it work, it soaks in faster than anything ive ever seen! It's an animal product so it kinda makes sense it would work well on animal skin.