Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoolies

Distinguished Service Award Lauren's Avatar

Spoolies

Hello all,

I just got my spoolies from the Vermont Country Store catalog. They're these little plastic things that are supposed to fold down on top of themselves to hold in your hair. I am very sad to report that they don't work for me at all. My hair is about shoulder length with layers and I have a lot of hair, though it is fine. I successfully closed several but only when my hair was about as thick around as a thin pencil, and over time they started releasing and falling out because my hair is too long or too thick... not sure. Anyways, me being me, I bought four packets of them and now they're not going to do me much good. They had the option of large ones, but I'm not ready to go in again for more plus shipping. So my advice is to stick to pincurls unless you have shorter, thin hair! They're faster and you can control which way your curl goes. That's my two cents. I'd love to hear of anyone else's experiences!
    http://wearinghistoryblog.com
    "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

Familiar Face

I looked and couldn't find them

What a nice little store. I went out there to check out the spoolies and couldn't find them. Think I'll be spending some extra time to look at their hankies. Ooo, reminds me. I've been getting some freebies in my clothing purchases. I recently recieved a dress that had a very nice hankie in it (I quickly washed it). I've also reached into a 1940's coat and found some very nice black gloves too! I digress......are the spoolies in the online catalog?

Jen
    "Mom, you're already an old lady!"

Baron, 6 years of age, in reference to his 35 year old mother

My experience with spoolies has been exactly the same. I think my hair is just too long.

One of the Regulars
    Lauren,

Glad you posted this, because I was just about to buy some! I have exhausted yet another attempt at pincurls.... and after throwing down bobby pins into my bathroom sink in a fit of impatience... I was gonna try for spoolies. I've tried ragcurlers, foam curlers... you name it.... and none of them really work for me... I get curl, but none of it seems to be uniform, try as hard as I may. So, I end up putting the front up in rolls and leaving the back down, rolling the ends under and keeping it in place with a hairnet. However, I'm getting quite tired of this style, and I'd like some variation. So, since spoolies stink, then it looks like I'm stuck with it until someone can actually TEACH me how to do pincurls.

phooey.

-Jess
    "I prefer women with a past. They're always so damned amusing to talk to."
    --Oscar Wilde, “Lady Windermere's Fan”

Not sure if this will work

for you all because I'm African American so of course, we have different hair textures but, I use Summit Pre Con Gel http://havanabeautysupply.com/cgi-lo....cfg+summit016
    when doing my pin curls. The come out uniform in curl and shape and my mom says she and her friends who were of different races, used this for their pin curls when they were younger. Also, my pincurls tend to last longer when I use this gel. A friend of mine uses Lotta Body http://www.tresstranzitions.com/ but I've never used it so, I can't give a personal review.

Distinguished Service Award Lauren's Avatar
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...yword=spoolies

Here's a link to them. I LOVE the catalog, but I'm bummed that yet again I'm a sucker for a hair product. It seems I am in an unending attempt to simplify getting my hair done easily!

I use Lotta Body and it makes my hair stay. If it can make my hair stay, it will make anyone's! Add more of it and it will REALLY get your hold in, but your curls will be quite stiff. Also, I remember using Dippity Do jell with my wet hair when I was young with sponge curlers and that worked. They have that on the Vermont country store catalog as well:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...=1&keyword=gel

What I've learned is that the longer you let your pincurls in the longer they'll stay. I set my hair at 7 pm tonight and I'll end up wearing a head scarf a la Rosie tomorrow so that I can have my hair hold up to Reenactment wear and tear all day Saturday. I do this for the QM too, and if I let them set for a whole day then that one hair set will last me through three days with little touch ups with an iron here and there.

Practice, practice, practice!

But now back to Spoolies! I admit I went
    http://wearinghistoryblog.com
    "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

I bought an original, unopened bag of spoolies (dated 1950) on eBay as an ongoing joke with my sisters. We used them when we were little girls. I remember my Mom using setting lotion (by Helene Curtis) before putting them in our hair. I have a huge amount of very thick, longish hair and I KNOW these would never work on my hair today! Lauren, I would save them for your children-to-be!

Familiar Face
    Ohhhhhh, so that's what they are! I saw some hot rollers the other day at Wal-mart that had the same concept. Glad I stuck to purchasing the Hot Sticks instead.

Looking at them makes me want to try them! ....alas, my hair is fine but I have a lot of it. Drat! Now it'll bother me until I order them.

Hair accessories are always like the latest facial treatment. I must have it and then I'm utterly disappointed. I immediately go back to my standbys of Dove and Oil of Olay.
    "Mom, you're already an old lady!"

Baron, 6 years of age, in reference to his 35 year old mother

Familiar Face
    Well, my hair must be the odd man out. They worked OK for me. I have bra-strap length hair, and as Long as I used small enough sections, they stayed in my hair. Now, I did tie a turban around it once they were in to hold them in place and prevent me from looking like an alien, so that might have prevent them from falling off. That being said, for actual vintage hair, I will stick to pincurls because I have aloe easier time controling them and they are alot faster to put in.
    -Stormi

Do you guys think maybe sitting under a hood type dryer might work also? So that the curl is like dried and set into your hair, if you know what I mean. Just thought of that, I haven't sat under a dryer like that in years though.