Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Period Films and Inaccuraces

All those war movies made in the 1960s probably are my favorite since they generally have people, in particular the actresses in full 1960s hairs and outfits, during WWII. Also, as mentioned earlier, all those 1960s cars...

Though not a WWII movie, that fun Anthony Quin film about the French paratroopers in Algeria, The Lost Command (based on Jean Larteguy's novel Les Centurions)really stands out for me. It was made in 1966 when the main part of the story takes place in 1956-57 or so. Alain Delon is so mid-1960s cool that when he leaves the army and walks out of the base not only does he have his ultra-slim Mod suit and haircut, but he is surrounded by many 1960s cars as he walks away...

Though Sophia Loren in Operation Crossbow perhaps stands out as a close second...

Last edited by Chasseur; 05-04-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

I'm not picky about details, however I did notice a green 1968 Chev in American Grafitti. It was only on the screen for a split second but it was there. Anyone else notice it?

And no, it did not spoil the movie for me.

With me it's when movie producers don't even TRY and get things right. I know there weren't a lot of Luftwaffe mounts left lying around in 1948 but jeeze in the film "Fighter Squadron" they committed the mother of all sins. The painted and rebadged P-51 Mustangs as Luftwaffe fighters. I can almost forgive them as the films a low to mid budget pot boiler. But the Battle of the Bulge starring Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw, Robert Ryan AND Charles Bronson was a big budget affair. You'd think that they could find ONE actual German tank to put in this multi-million dollar movie. I mean... C'mon man!

Worf

In the film , "O Brother Where Art Thou ", George Clooney confesses to his Jail mates by saying , "Boys we were chained together…busting
    out alone was not an option"! Somehow that phrase sounds too modern. In the sequel to Chinatown with Jack Nicholson. Jack is driving a
    convertible (Hudson) . On a wide shot there is an exterior steel visor (Fulton) on the front. In the close up , the visor is missing. On the next
    wide shot , the visor is back again. Also , a 1946 Chev. pickup truck passes several times in the same scene. I have a similar truck. It's
    a 1946 olive green with black fenders. I never could find the "atm" machine that some have said they saw in this 1940's period film.
    Last edited by 2jakes; 05-13-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: detail

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf View Post
    With me it's when movie producers don't even TRY and get things right. I know there weren't a lot of Luftwaffe mounts left lying around in 1948 but jeeze in the film "Fighter Squadron" they committed the mother of all sins. The painted and rebadged P-51 Mustangs as Luftwaffe fighters. I can almost forgive them as the films a low to mid budget pot boiler. But the Battle of the Bulge starring Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw, Robert Ryan AND Charles Bronson was a big budget affair. You'd think that they could find ONE actual German tank to put in this multi-million dollar movie. I mean... C'mon man!

Worf
    Well, If it was razorback mustangs (B's & C models) it would have been a plausible substitute, as they looked quite similar to a Bf-109, but obviously, a P-51D (bubble canopy) looks nothing like a "Messer" !

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by swinggal View Post
    What always amazes me is that no matter how much money a big budget blockbuster seems to have - they still dont manage to get it right like the smaller budget films.

Pearl Harbour was a travesty when it came to hair, makeup and uniforms. If you are going to try and re-create an event like that, man at LEAST get the uniforms right. Ben Afflicks character is wearing the wrong jacket with his uniform and his medals are not pinned in the correct place. Even the way he wears his hat is questionable according to a friend of mine who is an expert on uniforms of the era. It's almost insulting to the men who were there. And the women...the hair is wrong, too modern as is the makeup and nails. It really stands out!

I mean low budget movies like League of their Own, Swing Kids and English dramas are so well done, right down to every detail. So why can't a movie with a huge budget - like Pearl Harbour or King Kong get it right!

Girls, I love League of their Own and use it as a reference a lot. Has it all, day wear, sports wear, underwear, great hairstyles and make-up. Yeah, its not the greates movie of all time but I think it's one that is true to the era.

I tell you what is REALLY weird, get the 1950s version of the 'Glenn Miller Story' out on DVD sometime (starring Jimmy Stewart). We all know its set from the 20s to when he died in WW2 but almost all the clothes (especially in the 30s and 40s period) are full on 1950s garb!! I've seen this in quite a few movies made in the 50s (The Benny Goodman Story is another) where they are trying to portray the 30s and 40s but still wear 50s clothes! Odd, check it out sometime. Even here in the movie poster shes wearing 50s clothes:
    You mean like this?
    Seems pretty accurate to me, compared to this actuall ww2 photograph :

The only thing is that Ben Affleck's hat appear crushed which isn't really that accurate as fighter pilots wore flying helmets with integrated headsets instead of that cap and a regular headset like the bomber pilots did (for some time at least). Bomber pilots would remove the stiffener so the headset would feel more comfortable being worn over the cap, thus creating that "crushed" look.

One of the Regulars ThemThereEyes's Avatar
    I know this is not a Golden Era related film, but seeing this scene in Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette was really funny. They were the shoes Kirsten Dunst wore under costumes when her feet weren't visible.
    http://styleinspades.files.wordpress...uturedetat.jpg
    Also that macarons weren't around yet, and they are seen all throughout the film.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    I've never spotted that one, but will now be on the lookout for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Doble View Post
    I'm not picky about details, however I did notice a green 1968 Chev in American Grafitti. It was only on the screen for a split second but it was there. Anyone else notice it?

And no, it did not spoil the movie for me.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Practically Family
    I've watched a few episodes of a telly show "Murdoch Mysteries" and the thing that struck me as bizarre from the get-go - would a woman have been working as a coroner in the 1890s?
    More than somewhat.

Watching "JFK" yesterday and one of the flashback scenes the day of the assassination showed a Ford Mustang that wouldn't come out for another 6 months.

Also, in "Animal House" set in 1962 one of the songs used was "Cherish" by the Association which wasn't released until 1966.