Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hat on or off?

Call Me a Cab

hat on or off?

I just started wearing hats a few weeks ago, but have noticed I am the only woman doing so around where I live, so I have no one to take my cue's from...I know, when men go into church or a restraunt, they take their hats off, does the same thing apply to women? or can we leave our hats on?

On.

I might be wrong, but in general, I think women leave their hats on. I've read some hat etiquette somewhere in my internet travels. I'm sure someone will have links. Maybe you can take your tip from watching old movies? The childhood memories I have of my grandmother and old, OLD aunts have them wearing their "Sunday-best" hats in church, in restaurants, etc. Hope this helps.

Vendor
    A woman never needs to take her hat off. Some men may even ask that you leave it on. A lot of men find a woman in a hat very sexy.

Nope.

A women never removes her hat, even in church. She may wear it in her own home to receive guests as well.
    Nor her gloves, unless they are grubby gardening gloves, which are removed before shaking hands. Gloves are left on in every other instance. And she never apologizes for not removing her gloves or hat.

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

If you go by old school rules, no, women do not have to take there hat off. In fact up until the late sixties women were expected to wear hats in church, to not was actually considered as bad as not eating fish on Fridays. (If you are catholic you know what I am talking about). That being said I personally feel, with equality, women should be mindful of the same rules as men. You may not have to follow them as men do like taking it off in an elevator, but please remove it at the dinner table. Thaté─˘s my two cents worth.
    Johnny
    "I PROMISE
    TO WEAR MY
    HAT-HEAD
    PROUDLY"

Call Me a Cab
    thanks guys! I'm hoping I'll start a trend around here! We need a new one

Practically Family Solid Citizen's Avatar

Unhappy Womens Hats

The only time I see women wearing hats is at steeplechase races or in church on Easter Sunday. Oh well!

SC

PS real hats not ballcaps!

The Kentucky Derby

is one instance. I saw some mighty fine women in some mighty fine hats.
    Why limit them to the races?
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

Practically Family shoeshineboy's Avatar
    MG,

I guess you need to start a thread "Am I the only Lady on the West Coast that wears a Hat ?" and then posts your memorable reactions.

Where are the pics ??? Will you post them in the hat section or the "women only" Powder room, where...eh um...we can't see them...

mark the shoeshine boy
    "i'm lucky to be alive and married to the same woman for 25 years www.facebook.com/themarkeaster

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quite simply, a woman can wear her hat inside, outside, in church and just about anywhere else. This is partly due to the fact that it is tougher for a woman to remove her hat with all the bows, pins and elastic that goes under the hair. A man simply removes his. A woman takes a lot longer with hers and they are allowed to keep it on rather than dishevel her hair and dress. This is particularly so if the hat matches her dress or outfit.
    There are plenty of Miss Manners things out there and she even changed her mind on a few things but I say just go with it all the time. The only reason I can agree with Miss Manners is if the hat obstructs the view of someone in a theatre or some such place where seating is permanent.
    Women with ball caps and other unsightly accoutrements are an exception. Remove them and keep them removed.

Regards,

J
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.