Advertisements
Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Advertisements
    MissQueenie's desert wear thread got me thinking of something about which I've been curious for some time.

Indiana Jones (and the COW Gearhead) carries a gas mask bag as a bag to stash equipment while adventuring.

That bag on a shoulder strap is just one tissue away from a bag to be carried over the shoulder by men for everyday use.

In 1930's issues of Esquire, a bag over the shoulder is sported by men in many of the illustrations, usually holding a camera or binoculars.

Briefcases these days often come with some kind of shoulder strap.

So: How many men here carry some kind of bag? And do you find the term "Man Purse" or worse, "Murse," as repugnant as I do?

I carry a leather briefcase-style bag to the office every day, sometimes on a shoulder strap. Weekends, I carry a "messenger bag" in olive drab canvas and russet leather from LL Bean. You have to have someplace to stow your gear - digicam, iPod, Nintendo, book, Moleskine, cell phone, snacks, smokes, gum, pens, sunglasses, pistol...
    Look at this. I'd carry this without a second thought:

How about this?

What are you carrying, gentlemen?

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

A wallet: back pocket, right side

I have in the past used briefcases or bags with a shoulder strap. When a guy carries a bag as a utility item--containing things like binoculars, cameras, .45 shells, etc--it's just a bag. The problem is when it becomes a fashion accessory . "Man-purse" is an oxymoron. Yeesh! Just my opinion.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
    - Nietsche

Nietsche is dead.
    - Roger McCarthy

KWD Radio

This,....(or a variation of this)

http://www.quanonline.com/military/m...sette_bag.html

Has always been perfectly acceptable, provided a guy's got a good reason for carrying it. I mean a utilitarian reason as opposed to a fashion reason. One could carry lots of useful stuff in one of these.
    ~ Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of. ~

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maj.Nick Danger
    One could carry lots of useful stuff in one of these.
    Like?

Uhhmmm,.....well, you know,...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasso
    Like?
    Useful stuff. Such as camera gear, a CD player, binoculars for watching the birds, lunch, flask of bourban, anything a guy might need,....
    ~ Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of. ~

Khaki canvas Israeli paratrooper bag with shoulder strap. It holds Moleskine notebook, Parker Brothers ball-point pen, earplugs (essential in the modern world of commuting with those who talk loudly on phones or listen to headphones at extreme volume setting...hearing loss anyone?), lunch bag, reading material. It doesn't have any modern parts like Velcro,etc. that might alter the vintage look. ...and it's not a purse...
    (chuckling) "I look Like a jackass!"

One of the Regulars
    I see no problem with a man carrying a bag. I also can't see why women carry a bag/purse when they have a pocket. Doesn't make any sense.

I only carry a bag or purse when absolutely necessary. Other times, if I have pockets, I just use them. Does this make me the odd girl out?

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maj.Nick Danger
    Useful stuff. Such as camera gear, a CD player, binoculars for watching the birds, lunch, flask of bourban, anything a guy might need,....
    Well, all you had to do was mention Bourbon. But, only a flask?

Practically Family Mr_Misanthropy's Avatar
    You know, I really love these bags, but, I can't carry all that stuff around with me. I hardly carry anything in my pockets if possible. Cash, a house key, and a cell phone. Anything else is an encumbrance. I have an MP3 player I use for long walks, and a teeny tiny Kodak digital camera smaller than a deck of cards that I can tolerate in a pocket. I'm afraid I'd lose a bag somewhere. It would be nice to carry a few extra things though, especially if I could find one to hold my laptop and not look like a "laptop case".
    "Time spent with cats is never wasted."
    - Sigmund Freud

My Mail is Forwarded Here Tony in Tarzana's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scotrace
    How about this?

Only if I had the 1948 Chrysler Town & Country convertible to go with it.