Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford Bags

Ive always been facibate by the history of Oxford Bags:

In 1924, Oxford (and Cambridge) students, reacting to a ban on knickers in University classrooms, began wearing wide trousers, 25 inches around at the knee and 40 inches around the bottom, slipped over their knickers. Capacious pants became an immediate fad in America, copying the dimensions, but not hiding knickers or cricket pants within.
    They really should have a wider waistband (like 2 inches) and side tabs to pull the waste in. My friebd bought 2 pairs from Revamp Vintage and they are very authentic with high waist, tabs ans 34 inch cuffs.

http://www.revampvintage.com/fletcher.html
    "Fashion fades, only style remains the same.” - Coco Chanel

Blog - Violet's Vintage Vault

PICS ARE UP....

for real this time.

http://www.geocities.com/oxfordbagz

Ok, to answer a few questions...

- pants have on average a 14" rise, they use a long zipper.
    - waist sizes start at 32" - smallest size they make
    - inseams come in two sizes - 30" and 32"
    - cuff of 1.5" (I have an original pair of linen pants with 1.5" cuffs. And they are definately from the 1930's. I like the taller cuff myself.
    - Easy to work with, belt loops can be ommitted, dropped, whatever and smokey joe brand.
    - There were many styles of "Oxford Bags". These are wide legged trousers that look just like some of the "Oxford Bags" worn in the 1920-30's. When I am not wearing vintage pants I wear these. They are very affordable, stylish, and I don't have to worry about them falling apart.

The way I see it- Why buy and wear a pair of new pants from wherever the sheep shop when these can be had for such a great price?

Any more questions/concerns please drop me a line. Ciao.
    IN-N-OUT Burger, It's DIVINE!

I like em, but need a 34 inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohar
    I like em, but need a 34 inseam.

Yeah, I know. My friend is rather tall and he has to give them a faux cuff. It is tricky to do but can work sometimes. I wish they made more sizes. Sorry.

How long do they come if you get them unhemmed?

Quote Originally Posted by swinggal
    Ive always been facibate by the history of Oxford Bags:

They really should have a wider waistband (like 2 inches) and side tabs to pull the waste in. My friebd bought 2 pairs from Revamp Vintage and they are very authentic with high waist, tabs ans 34 inch cuffs.

http://www.revampvintage.com/fletcher.html

REVAMP is great! They make amazing threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohar
    How long do they come if you get them unhemmed?

I will definately check for ya later, but I'm guessing about 3 inches longer. I will also see if I can illustrate how to make a faux cuff. I discovered how to do this when I was checking out a cuff on a pair of palm beach trousers that had been let down.

"In Chile..."
    Thanks for posting the pics! They look pretty good. And yes, it's true that 1920s Oxford bags did not necessarily have high waistbands and long belt loops. Then again, if I were going to be daring enough to make my legs look like an elephant's, I'd want to go the full Monty. I'd want a crazy waistband like the following:

"In Chile..."
    I'd also want my Oxford bags to be really, really, REALLY baggy. Like these.
    Note that in the 1920s photo at left, the cuffs on the trousers are at least 4 inches wide!

Gone Home

They be no bags...

They look great, but, they look more like a regular pair of late 30's or early
    40's pants. BK, I know some had pleats but, they were shallow small pleats that didn't effect the cut of the pant. True oxfords have a three inch waistband and some did have the side straps, some had the belted strap in the back! And for what ever reason some one isn't reproducing them in larger sizes needs to have a talking to!

=WR=