Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford Bags

i have a feeling that any remaining original Oxford bags would have been bought in the 80s after the rush of vintage excitement following Brideshead Revisited and Chariots of Fire. if anyone finds any more from old posh wardrobes (or has found some in recent years) chances are it will be Hogspear.

New In Town
    Perhaps this has been proposed before - I can't be sure as I haven't read all posts from the beginning.

The origin of the Oxford Bags dates back to 1924. Gentlemen's attire was at its most fashionable by the wearing of knickers or knickerbockers as some would say.

These were baggy pantaloon type trousers which tapered in and finished at the knee. Long socks and shoes worn below that.

The "plus" designation refered to the length (in inches) of fabric extended below the knee - Plus Fours, Plus Eights et cetera.

In 1924 the wearing of such items by Oxford students was banned by the University.

The Bags were able to be worn over the top of the knickers to allow fashion standards to be "maintained" if necessarily concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by kts68 View Post
    In 1924 the wearing of such items by Oxford students was banned by the University.

The Bags were able to be worn over the top of the knickers to allow fashion standards to be "maintained" if necessarily concealed.

yes, that is the official version which is now being politely challenged in this thread.

New In Town
    Well hush my mouth.....

I'll read it properly from the beginning now

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    if anyone finds any more from old posh wardrobes (or has found some in recent years) chances are it will be Hogspear.
    He has had a couple pairs of white trousers up in the past of some width, but I can't remember the texture.

Here are a couple pictures I found on my computer. I don't remember if I got these off auctions or if someone posted them here, unfortunately.

Monocle: This may be worn by (1) good dukes, (2) all Englishmen. No bad man may wear a monocle. ~P. G. Wodehouse

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    If you washed these a good few times (or fell in the river whilst training) I could imagine them turning into 'fluffies'.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

those basically look like cricket (or tennis) flannels. i'm sure that the fabric of the fluffies is a flannel, but more akin to a soft blanket flannel. the soft 'spikes' really remind me of an old blanket.
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Practically Family
    Canterbury and Burgess Hill, UK (former expat)
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Was thre anything good in any of them? I like the sound of a 'big pile of stuff' - was it good (or at least interesting) stuff?
    Mainly womens clothing from the seventies, from what I could tell

Nick D, the second pair are the same material (by the looks of it) as my two pairs of sports trousers. Parts not exposed to much wear appear to be knapped, but not hugely so.

I'm also wondering now, if the fluffies are indeed fluffy, or were just they way period cameras rendered flannel, serge or indeed a texture similar to the first pair you posted. Old cameras and processing techniques have a tendency to do some rather odd things (notably certain yellows often appear pitch black).
    Last edited by Cobden; 04-18-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobden View Post
    I'm also wondering now, if the fluffies are indeed fluffy, or were just they way period cameras rendered flannel, serge or indeed a texture similar to the first pair you posted. Old cameras and processing techniques have a tendency to do some rather odd things (notably certain yellows often appear pitch black).

i don't think so... these babies look fluffy: (the trousers, not the ladies)

As an aside, if anyone does manage to locate old cricket clothing and equipment - I am very interested.
    Twitter - @FDReilly