Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxford Bags

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    edit: this is the confusing part of my theory; the originals weren't called Oxford Bags, just Bags.
    But the 1896 trousers above are described as Oxford Bags. But this is a modern description on a website. The person who marked up the photograph could be wrong. We would only know for sure if we saw such a description on a label or document dating from the same time as the trousers.

Edit: Ah, you've covered this above. Yes, a look at receipts would be useful.
    Last edited by AntonAAK; 04-25-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    I'm not dressed up. I'm just dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonAAK View Post
    But the 1896 trousers above are described as Oxford Bags. But this is a modern description on a website.
    yes, the name still needs to be cleared up, but i strongly suspect they were just called 'Bags' (or maybe 'blanket bags') before the fashion craze took off.

I'm not quite sure what your point is then, HBK, if it does not concern the name. Is it that trousers resembling the 1920s Oxford Bags existed earlier and originated as rowing-wear? But if they are not as wide as the exaggerated 1920s ones why do they differ from any old trousers?

Or if your point does concern the name how do we know that 'bags' wasn't just a general name for rowing trousers, just as 'flannels' used to be used to describe cricket trousers?

Sorry if you've made this plain before but I am still confused.

Anton
    Last edited by AntonAAK; 04-25-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Is it that trousers resembling the 1920s Oxford Bags existed earlier and originated as rowing-wear?
    yes in a nutshell. the rowing connection has never been mentioned in any fashion history version i've read. they always repeat the 'made to be worn over plus fours in the classroom where plus fours weren't allowed' line.
    i'm debunking that myth !

But if they are not as wide as the exaggerated 1920s ones why do they differ from any old trousers?
    they were made of blanket flannel, and would have been very wide for 1900-1925, before wider trousers took off generally.

Or if your point does concern the name how do we know that 'bags' wasn't just a general name for rowing trousers, just as 'flannels' used to be used to describe cricket trousers?
    it most probably was a general name for these particular blanket fabric rowing trousers because they were so baggy for the time. 'Oxford' was (i think) only added later by outsiders to name their exaggerated fashion version, but the original Oxford Bag is really the fuzzy one.
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 04-25-2012 at 04:32 AM.

OK, that makes sense.

In that case it looks like you are right!

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar
    For me, this line of research is all about myth-busting. 'Oxford Bags' are legendary fashion items yet are one of the most misunderstood.

I first heard the term used in the 1970s to describe the wide-legged, wide waistbanded flared trousers that actually resembled the American 'college pants'. I think this use has led to much confusion.

Most 1920s photographs that we see are the comedy versions - not the genuine versions. That is simply because the genuine versions were not super-wide, thus they are not easily identified in photographs. In reality they just look like wide legged trousers, not super-loose things flapping around like sails in the wind (earlier in this thread, BK referred to original catalogues describing 'bags' as having bottoms no wide than 25inches).

This research breaks the mythology and helps illustrate the true development of a garment that went on to influence trousers for the following 20 years.

That has to be a good thing.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    I first heard the term used in the 1970s to describe the wide-legged, wide waistbanded flared trousers that actually resembled the American 'college pants'. I think this use has led to much confusion.
    last week, on this same research, i was looking in a vintage photo shop in Brighton and asked the owner if he had any old photos of men in Oxford Bags. he said "is that the 1970s trousers ?"... so the term must have been used then too. remember 'lumber' jackets ? another 70s - 30s influenced trend.

(i didn't find any bags photos but bought several cricket teams photos of the teens and 20s).

another time, in London, a man approached me and quite excitedly said "are those Oxford Bags ?" ... i had to point out that they were simply standard 11" 1940s suit trousers.

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    last week, on this same research, i was looking in a vintage photo shop in Brighton and asked the owner if he had any old photos of men in Oxford Bags. he said "is that the 1970s trousers ?"... so the term must have been used then too.
    I was not being entirely facetious in the 'College Attire' thread. Trousers called Oxford Bags were briefly very fashionable in the UK in the early 1970s. I distinctly remember my sister sulking when my Mum wouldn't buy her any because they looked ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    For me, this line of research is all about myth-busting. 'Oxford Bags' are legendary fashion items yet are one of the most misunderstood.

Most 1920s photographs that we see are the comedy versions - not the genuine versions. That is simply because the genuine versions were not super-wide, thus they are not easily identified in photographs. In reality they just look like wide legged trousers, not super-loose things flapping around like sails in the wind (earlier in this thread, BK referred to original catalogues describing 'bags' as having bottoms no wide than 25inches).

This research breaks the mythology and helps illustrate the true development of a garment that went on to influence trousers for the following 20 years.

That has to be a good thing.
    I can see that "myth buster" thing. But maybe there was a trend in the 20s? Making an clothing item of utility "cool" for students and other young folks does happen very often. Also for the comedy versions...extreme things just get more attention.But I still wouldn't vote there was no such thing in the 20s and it is all a media bluff.

Exaggeration? Yes, of course!
    It's kinda similar to "Zoot suits". Yes, they excisted but were exaggerated in the 90s Neo Swing Era.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Two Types's Avatar
    http://www.somelikeitholy.com/brown-...7123ed81fc1bfe

This is a link to a website called 'Some Like it Holy', offering some interesting trousers that they describe as 'Oxford Bags'. I'm surprised I had never seen these before. They look rather good.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog