Page 1 of 133 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow Ties

Bow Ties

I've always thought the bow tie was a look not everyone could pull off. I'm wondering how many guys here wear them, have thought about wearing one, or even know how to tie one!

Personally, I don't think one would look good on me.
    A man can fall many times in life, but he's never a failure until he refuses to get up.

One of the Regulars
    I agree. I think only a very few men can pull off the bow tie look. No way to describe the guy who can successfully wear one, but I know 'em when I see 'em.

BTW, the black or white formal bowtie works for everybody. If you ever have the chance to wear one with a dinner jacket, be sure to get one you have to tie yourself. It takes a while to get the hang of tying it, but it looks way classier than the pre-tied kind.
    "I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."

I wear bow ties quite often. I have 5 or 6 of them from Brooks Brothers and Ben Silver.

Hey StHill, you are absolutely right about the formal thing. I've worn a few tuxedos and yea, the bow tie goes very well. I've never hand tied one though.

Zohar, yep you do pull it off!
    A man can fall many times in life, but he's never a failure until he refuses to get up.

One of the Regulars

I agree...

....that certain people can pull it off. I for one have about 10 of them in asorted colors and patterns. I like the look because it is different. My brother wears them exclusively. However, I think they look better on him than they do on me. My face is round and the bow tie makes it look more round. His face is thinner and that is the type of face that, in my opinion, can carry it better. I like to wear them during the winter, when I don't have to take off my suit jacket or my sport coat. I also think they look better with the jacket on. A bow tie should also be worn while wearing a shirt with a spread collar or sometimes with a button down collar as Zohar is doing in his picture. But the preferred colar is the spread collar. The reason is that the bow tie hides the points of the collar.

Two entertainers that come to mind that looked good in bow ties are Jeff Bridges in A Mirror Has Two Faces and Harrison Ford in Sabrina and of course as Indiana Jones. I am sure there are others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
    Gabe

Hey Gabe, apparently you've given this some thought. You bring up some very good points. Do you tie your own?

Here is one guy

Mr. Bogart sure knows how to pull off the "bow tie" look. Nothing better than a white dinner jacket and black tie. What a guy!

"Thanks for the memories...."
    "We are Loungers. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

Heck, Bogie could pull off pretty much any look!!!!!

Yeah, I don't like to wear mine with a button down collar, but I only have one spread collar shirt and it was quite expensive. It definitely looks better on spread collared shirts.

Originally posted by Zohar
    Yeah, I don't like to wear mine with a button down collar, but I only have one spread collar shirt and it was quite expensive. It definitely looks better on spread collared shirts.
    There isn't a button down collared shirt in my house!