Page 89 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow Ties

Quote Originally Posted by clarinetplayer View Post
    CP, you consistently raise the bar in bow tie-dom.
    Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine.

A two-fer today. *This shot qualifies me to post in both the bow tie thread and the cap thread:

I'm not actually wearing the cap today, though. *It's the new Henry the Hatter 8/4 linen cap I bought for this summer.

-Dave

Practically Family
    Just saw, in a Burlington for the first time, "Bill Robinson" brand sets of pre-tied, patterned bows and solid color pocket squares ($9.99). The square is a color found in the tie-- about half the examples were white.
    They do have that "pre-tied look" and the knot looks like it could be a separate band wrapped around and stitched. Not sure about that. (If you unstitched, would you have a tie you could tie yourself, or would you just have odd pieces?)

Quote Originally Posted by Espee View Post
    Just saw, in a Burlington for the first time, "Bill Robinson" brand sets of pre-tied, patterned bows and solid color pocket squares ($9.99). The square is a color found in the tie-- about half the examples were white.
    They do have that "pre-tied look" and the knot looks like it could be a separate band wrapped around and stitched. Not sure about that. (If you unstitched, would you have a tie you could tie yourself, or would you just have odd pieces?)
    A lot of them would leave you with pieces, I fear. If you can't untie it there and then by hand, I wouldn't risk it. FWIW, I have two Hilditch and Key bows, both proper, self-tie bows but which have a detachable hook in the back. I suppose this allows a compromise for those who need to tie it round their leg then clip it into place. Could be the best of both worlds, I suppose. I'd rather they were one-piece, but they came in the sale and I really like how they look when on.... As a general rule, though, I'd never risk buying a tie that needed unstitched to untie, as I suspect it'd be a rare thing indeed you end up with an actual bow tie rather than a bunch of odd bits of fabric once done.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

This week's Bow Tie Friday number features a floral design with leaves and stems combination, which, when blended with the artfully so-very-nearly almost well tied appearance, says, "Ah, Friday, Friday, Friday~"
    Let me dig this solid cat and see what jumps in that wig of his that's causing all the flip on the vine.

Actually, a Bow Tie Thursday, posted on a Friday. A jaunty number from Tommy Hilfiger; in a clinch, I can unfold it and spread on the ground for a picnic cover.

One of the Regulars
    I just wanted to post up my modest collection. Excuse the poor picture. The collection is either Beau Ties Ltd or Brooks Brothers. I do love em!!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacRN View Post
    I just wanted to post up my modest collection. Excuse the poor picture. The collection is either Beau Ties Ltd or Brooks Brothers. I do love em!!

Very nice selection, IRN- how often do you indulge in bow tie wearing?

One of the Regulars
    I try to once a week or so as I don't have a job where I can dress up. So basically, its be just going about daily activities with a bow tie.

And thank you for the compliment.

Practically Family
    I just acquired a plain dark red one like in IRN's collection. A Ben Sherman from Nordstrom Rack.
    It's the most or second most I've paid for a tie, so it's a bit odd that it would be a solid. But the first bow I ever had was from the formal Dept.... "Chinese Red" some would call it. And I've only worn it twice (it's just too circus-y.)
    "With these clothes, red would be good... ah, no, not THAT red..."
    Last edited by Espee; 03-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.