Advertisements

Thread: Everyday hairstyles?

Hybrid View

Everyday hairstyles?

Hello girls!
    So, I'm one of those who does her hair daily (there are some exceptions, but rarely). But I heard, or as some people told me, that's not good for my hair. Is that true? I don't use setting lotion daily, nor hairspray or anything, but I have to brush my wet hair. So, is that true? And, are there some hairstyles which don't require curls or anything? (from the 30's) Any ideas?

Naama
    There's only one thing in life you can't buy with money, and that's style.....

One of the Regulars
    I have been wondering the same thing, Naama. I want to do my hair daily, but I can't stand putting anything in it, even the lightest hairspray. For a while I've been twisting the sides back, but that gets old.

This is NOT a good picture, but I'm horrible at descriptions.

Vendor
    I also do my hair almost everyday, with few exceptions. You'll never meet a girl with such damaged hair as myself! I have recently been a blonde and almost made all of my hair turn into complete mush! But! My vintage styling gave me some opportunities to look great and be easy on my hair. It depends on your routine, but I usually have a set for two days, so I only wash my hair every other day, which is what is most recommended. Sometimes I go longer without washing in between, and I can use pretty heavy conditioners that would normally weigh my hair down too much to wear in a casual style (no pin curls). If you are worried about combing your hair too much while it is wet (which shouldn't be a problem if your hair is healthy and you go easy on it) you can just part it and comb it straight, let it airdry most the way and then set it, but like I said, unless you have hopelessly damaged hair, just take care and you won't get broken hairs. Before I bleached my hair I had natural curls better and I would let it air dry, and brush it out, it would have great 40's waves, now I'm stuck setting it.
    I think the only thing I would recommend is not washing it every day, but every other day. Wear your hair down after a fresh set, and up in rolls or a creative up-do the second day. You can go a third day if your hair doesn't get too icky and you should have such little damage you wouldn't notice.
    My hair is *very* sensitive to damage, so I notice that if I insist on blowdrying it, it gets so brittle, but I usually let my hair airdry and set it mostly dry.
    Blowdryers and curling irons I reserve mostly for emergency or special occasions.
    I hope this helps. I've had to deal with a lot of trouble with the damage my hair took when I just *had* to be a peroxide blonde, but with the help of some good conditioners, good hair protein reconstructors and the like, I can keep up the vintage look without skipping a beat!

I'm actually a peroxide blonde! A very light one, almost platinum, naturally dark brown..... So, I guess I don't have to say more(?) But somehow my hair can take a lot and doesn't look all THAT bad

Quote Originally Posted by Kaela
    I also do my hair almost everyday, with few exceptions. You'll never meet a girl with such damaged hair as myself! I have recently been a blonde and almost made all of my hair turn into complete mush! But! My vintage styling gave me some opportunities to look great and be easy on my hair. It depends on your routine, but I usually have a set for two days, so I only wash my hair every other day, which is what is most recommended.
    I wonder, when I go to sleep with my hair curled and weak up I look pretty much like Courtney Love in her crunch phase..... And if I brush it, the curls will go out completely! I also tried to wear a hairnet overnight, but that just flattened my hair, it looked awfull What do you do overnigt??

Naama
    There's only one thing in life you can't buy with money, and that's style.....

New In Town
    i tend to do my hair daily. Well, that's not exactly right as i sometimes set my hair and then simply "fix" it the next day or two. By fixing i mean that i smooth the fly aways and re-pin where needed.

i use a curling iron most of the time to set my hair and the heat has a tendency to fade my hair faster than where i not to apply heat. Other than that, my hair is quite healthy. Granted, i know that my hair can take an absolute beating, and has numerous times in the past. But currently, it is very healthy with only a normal amount of daily breakage and no split ends to be found.

i should note that i tend toward "healthier" hair products, particularly in regards to hairspray. i love Aveda Air Control. Maybe that has something to do with the current health of my hair.
    Ms. Lily

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and becoming."
    -Mryna Loy-

I'm also an every-day-doer, and I think the one thing that really offsets whatever damage styling products might cause for me is that I avoid blowdryers and hot irons as much as possible. My hair fries really easily, so I wash every other evening (or sometimes every third evening, depending on how the set is holding up), sit around with it in a towel for half an hour or so, and then do my pincurls. The only heat I'll use on it is if I have to do a set in a hurry, then I'll use my bonnet dryer -- it takes longer than a blow dryer, but it's much gentler on the hair.

Another good trick if you're prone to dry hair is to use a humectant conditioner -- doesn't have to be a fancy one, I use supermarket stuff -- but it'll really help restore lost moisture.

For what it's worth, my hairdresser says my hair's a lot healthier than it has any right to be, given my age and what I do to it. So there y'go....
    Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. -- Clifford Odets

I had to stop doing anything to my hair every day, it is completely thrashed.

Here's what not to do:

wash hair daily
    blow dry
    gel
    curling iron
    hairspray

I am trying to grow my hair very long, and the ends are now straw, and I don't even dye my hair. I recommend Aveda brilliant humectant or their brilliant retexturing gel if you can't take that much grease. I now use a little bit of jojoba oil in my ends, it helps. Use a wide toothed comb to brush your hair when it is wet. Only use a soft brush when it is dry.

I have a small collection of pre-1950 California yearbooks. In the ones from the 1930's no one has hair longer than their shoulders. So, they could curl it every day and just keep hacking off the thrashed bits.

Just about everyone curled or waved their hair. There are a few exceptions, like the occasional shingle, updo, or slicked back hair.

Can you wear your hair with a little finger wave with the Aveda gel? That shouldn't damage it too much. How about a nice straight 20's bob?

One of the Regulars artdecodame's Avatar
    I like to do mine in an early 30's kind of way everyday, but when I don't have time to use a curling iron in the morning, I'll set it at night when it's wet so it does a kind of late-30's thing. You can use small foam rollers or just roll the hair under with bobby pins, and then (if you have long-ish "bangs" like me) put those in pin curls. It comes out looking rather like the first photo on the left (or slightly different depending on your hair length):

Or Jean Arthur's in "You Can't Take It with You", which I cannot find a decent photo of at the moment!