Advertisements
Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 218268308316317318
Results 3,171 to 3,179 of 3179

Thread: Show us your vintage home!

Incurably Addicted HoosierDaddy's Avatar

Advertisements
    My Japanese Cherry is loaded with blooms on this sunny Indiana day. Seems they popped out overnight after several days of rain. Some trees are leafed out and now everything is looking green again. Spring is here..!!

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 04-11-2015 at 02:04 PM.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Big Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboots View Post
    Growing up in the south, where the dogwoods grow wild, that is one of the largest I've seen. Beautiful tree and story about your granddaughter

My Maw was a "tree planter" for sure. As far as I know, that Pink Dogwood is the only "store bought" tree she ever had. She would go to the woods and dig trees and shrubs and re-plant them around the house. There are a line of on the bank above the highway in front of the house that who knows their age. They all are about 10" or 12" across the base.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
    My Japanese Cherry is loaded with blooms on this sunny Indiana day. Seems they popped out overnight after several days of rain. Some trees are leafed out and now everything is looking green again. Spring is here..!!

That's a beautiful tree. I always wanted a weeping cherry tree. Maybe that can be a project for next Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by dh66 View Post
    I love to see the dogwoods in bloom this time of year. That is an impressive one, Big Man. I hope it's around for another 50 or 60 years.
    Thanks. I, too, hope it's around that long. I'm doing my part to take care of it and to keep the story of the tree alive as well.

Incurably Addicted HoosierDaddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Man View Post
    That's a beautiful tree. I always wanted a weeping cherry tree. Maybe that can be a project for next Spring.
    Big Man
    There are several variations of Japanese Weeping Cherry. The more common kind,that I also have in my yard, blooms pink and isn't nearly as spread out or attractive as this kind. Wish that I could remember the exact name of this more unusual type.
    HD

Wow, Stearman! I didn't even know they made door hinges so decorative. We're missing out in this modern age! Now I'm going to be bored by regular door hinges, haha.

On a general note, there's a neighborhood here in Baltimore, Roland Park, which was the first planned suburban community in the country (supposedly), and I always stand in awe of all the detail and thoughtfulness of those houses. A neighborhood that is nothing like suburban developments of today, no two houses are alike, and they have all these decorative features and quirks and just such character and charm, I love it. I have to try and not stand on the sidewalk and stare too long (because if someone is home, maybe it's a little weird, if someone is just standing outside your house staring at it intently for a while, haha).

And what kills me is when I see the insides of some of those homes, and they've been "renovated" to look like a plain jane, boring as paste, modern home. You know, all the walls knocked down for an "open layout," granite counter tops, yadda yadda.

Okay, sorry, rant over! I know at least some of you (if not most of you) can relate though!

Big Man, that tree is a beauty! I get so excited when trees begin blooming in spring!

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Man View Post
    Thanks. I, too, hope it's around that long. I'm doing my part to take care of it and to keep the story of the tree alive as well.
    My relatives were more utilitarian when they planted trees in the yard. If it didn't give fruit they didn't plant it. However I can understand it much better when I pick the fruit from the trees for eating in one form or another.
    My boys and I have replaced a few fruit trees that died over the years so that will be our legacy to the future.
    Old counterculturists and young idiots think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring, dumb and smelly.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateisGal View Post
    Christmas idea for Ashley?
    I can think of a lotta ways that'd go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplady View Post
    It is from the Unitarian Hymn, A Prayer for this House. I want to woodburn the last lines for our new home, but I've always thought it was a beautiful blessing to make on a home (besides the traditional bread, wine, and salt):

May nothing evil cross this door
    and may ill fortune never pry
    about these walls may the roar and rain go by

By faith made strong these rafters will
    withstand the battering of the storm.
    Though all the world grow chill will keep us warm.

May peace walk softly through these rooms,
    touching our lips with holy wine
    until every casual corner blooms into a shrine

With laughter drown the raucous shout
    and though the sheltering walls are thin
    may they be strong to keep hate out and hold love in.
    That's very pretty. That'd be a nice way to display it, too.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.