Page 140 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1424

Thread: Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' thread (For anyone who dared wear Rick's coat!)

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggers
    Yes, it is always a possibility and yes, it would be a sacrilege. You'd have holes from the stitching and probably a darker shade of fabric showing afterwards. Stitch lines never go away. Eventually someone will notice. Please, just jam the flaps inside the pockets like everyone else or go find another "bargain" that doesn't have them.
    Another problem with removing flaps is that underneath there is only a narrow edging to the pocket, whereas coats which never had flaps to begin with have a much larger rectangular piece, which this sort of coats needs for balance, etc.
    "Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    Giftmacher and Dinerman - great posts guys!
    "Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett

Dinerman, that is an interesting trench coat variation. Is the collar made of fake fur?
    It certainly misses some of the typical trench coat features
    Visit the Gentleman's Gazette - the online magazine for gentleman interested in men's clothing, accessories, style & savoir vivre.
    Learn more about the Homburg Hat & Peacoat
    Get the 70 page eBook Gentlemen of Style, which is all about men's fashion in the 1930's

I have never seen this ad before, thanks for sharing. Both, Aquascutum and Burberry must have had numerous different versions and models, but at then end of the day the features were all really similar.
    I personally prefer the double breasted 5x2 over the 4x2, and according to my research, this was also the first model.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Damage View Post
    You may be onto something; coats have certainly changed a lot from the WW1 period when they were introduced and become much more "civilian-ized". Belts, for example, are now much longer, which I suspect is so they can be tied if one chooses rather than buckled; rain flaps are also much longer - they still do the job, but change overall proportions.

The Burberry thing I posted above mentions the Air Warm coat and here it is (also from 1950):

Last edited by le.gentleman; 11-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Visit the Gentleman's Gazette - the online magazine for gentleman interested in men's clothing, accessories, style & savoir vivre.
    Learn more about the Homburg Hat & Peacoat
    Get the 70 page eBook Gentlemen of Style, which is all about men's fashion in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by le.gentleman View Post
    Is the collar made of fake fur?
    The collar is mouton. The lining is alpaca. This was a very popular trench coat style in the years just post-WWII.

DinerHunter.com - Food
    VintageHaberdashers.com - Clothes
    LowModern.com - Architecture

In the valley below the shining city on a hill, Chesterton, Indiana 46304
    My Magnoli Casablanca jacket is made & should arrive sometime next week!

New In Town
    I just got a cheap and clean Christian Dior off eBay. Definitely the easiest way to get close to the grail Casablanca coat for those like me seeking cheap instant gratification!

ADVANTAGES OVER MOST ON THE MARKET TODAY:
    - Two gun flaps not one
    - Working trapezoid not rectangular epaulets
    - Set sleeves not raglan
    - 6 x 3-roll-2 buttoning not 8 x 4
    - Zip lining (much easier to deal with than buttoned)
    - $550 cheaper than Magnoli

DIFFERENCES FROM GRAIL BOGIE
    - 80/20 Poly/Cotton fabric
    - Unknown country of origin (Says Christian Dior Monsieur Paris New York but I cannot find a country of manufacture, tho it did have a COAT INSPECTED BY #7 tag in the pocket)
    - Faux storm pockets (buttoned flap is decorative not functional, and they are not through-pockets)
    - Collar points are different... love the way Magnoli nails the point collar
    - Two scallops on back vs. one on Bogie's
    - Buttons on gun flaps vs. no buttons
    - No throat strap or hook & eye (not sure if Bogie has either)
    - No D-Rings
    - Plastic buckles on belt and sleeve straps
    - Plastic buttons that I wish were also just a touch larger

But like the song says, it will have to do until the real thing comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    My Magnoli Casablanca jacket is made & should arrive sometime next week!
    I'm eagerly awaiting some pics!
    "I don't slap so good around this time of the evening."

It pays to wait for the right one. I recently found this trench for $22 at an op shop in my local area.

The union label (My first garment with an American union label - this is a big deal as I am in Australia) is black with a circle around the 'R' making it late 60's early 70's I believe. Given the age it looks brand new and never rained on as far as I can tell. Pics below show it fits perfectly over a jacket and there are D-rings on the back as well as front.

I only just noticed a further label stating "Made expressly for wallachs New York" a now closed mens wear store

I freakin' love, probably one of my best finds ever
    “Suits are full of joy. They're the sartorial equivalent of a baby's smile.”
    - Barney Stinson

My Mail is Forwarded Here splintercellsz's Avatar
    VERY NICE!!!! 'Gratz on the find!
    I seem to have acquired quite a serious fever... and the only cure is more hats!
    Best Wishes,
    Justin

Items in the Classifieds:
    WTB: 1900s - 1940s Fedoras, Homburgs, Westerns, Caps, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/justin.seagraves.98