Page 143 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143
Results 1,421 to 1,424 of 1424

Thread: Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' thread (For anyone who dared wear Rick's coat!)

New In Town
    I'm in the market for my first (and hopefully last) trenchcoat and I came across this website. http://www.tailor4less.com/en-us/men...oats/configure

The trench coat material is 52% cotton & 48% polyester is that any good? It's my understanding they were originally made with wool, is this a quality material for such a coat?

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leacock
    I'm in the market for my first (and hopefully last) trenchcoat and I came across this website. http://www.tailor4less.com/en-us/men...oats/configure

The trench coat material is 52% cotton & 48% polyester is that any good? It's my understanding they were originally made with wool, is this a quality material for such a coat?
    Trench coats can be made from anything, but as I understand it the original ones used in the trenches of WW1 were cotton with a removable wool liner, like most classic trench coats. The cotton/poly blend is more modern, but in my opinion it helps reduce wear and helps with water repellency. Of course, the original coats were made from a tightly woven 100% cotton in a weight which you can't really get today. So a blend is a good modern compromise.
    "Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Damage View Post
    Trench coats can be made from anything, but as I understand it the original ones used in the trenches of WW1 were cotton with a removable wool liner, like most classic trench coats. The cotton/poly blend is more modern, but in my opinion it helps reduce wear and helps with water repellency. Of course, the original coats were made from a tightly woven 100% cotton in a weight which you can't really get today. So a blend is a good modern compromise.
    Thank you for the advice. That is good to know.

New In Town
    Actually would anyone have recommendations on trenchcoat sellers, particularly to Canada? Having looked more deeply into Tailor4Less they seem to have a somewhat unfortunate reputation quality assurance wise.

I also realised that I probably don't need a made to measure overcoat that much, as all I need is a long XL that is rigidly formulaic and stereotypical, I just want a conventional trenchcoat and off the rack would probably be cheaper.

Sorry if anyone has posted such information in the thread already, it is a rather long one!