Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M-69 Transport Coat

New In Town

M-69 Transport Coat

Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for ages but have only just decided to 'join up' as it were.

I was wondering if anybody has any information on the USN M-69 transport coat. (Leather overcoat with moulton collar.)

You see, I've just bought one and am wanting to know a little bit more about them. (Pics of one would be good to.)

I'll post pics of mine when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Lord Berners

New In Town
    here are the pics off ebay.

Coat has still not arrived yet.

Cheers

Never saw one before

That coat is fantastic! I'll be watching this thread to learn along with you.
    And welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

"A List" Customer
    Really nice. Welcome to the Lounge, where in Australia do you hail from?

Transport Coat

They were used by Transport pilots on long haul runs across the Atlantic or on submarine patrols. Often seen on the backs also of middle and senior management at sea (eg: USN Commanders upwards).
    Often, you can still pick these up for really reasonable prices!! for some reason, they don't have that sex & cool look appeal that the A2 has managed to establish. Even the early G1's and wartime USN leather flight jackets are still coming in very low against similar A2's, yet the budget spent on the G1/m422a/Transport Coat..etc, was far in excess to money spent per A2!! go figure, as my American friends often say!!

If any of you ever get to handle the Transport Coat you will see just how well made it is, the quality of materials and the great bang for your buck (see how my US cousins are rubbing off on me here!).
    This design is inspired by the old interwar MAIL PILOTS who ferried mail across the US,often in open cockpit, but also closed, but unheated aircraft, hence they needed something that allowed freedom of movement (hence the part Rayon lining to give that ease of movement a pilot needs), but also the Alpaca lining for warmth too. Got the great storm cuffs and the huge mouton collar to pull up when it got really chilly!!

Bang for Buck, THIS IS THE TOPS IMHO!!

(Right, hope that was of some help!! off for another Pimms No.1 in my Panama, the weather demands it!)
    "Hot ginger and dynamite, There's nothing but that at night,
    Back in Nagasaki Where the fellers chew tobaccy and the
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

An Earl Grey in a sea of Latte...

New In Town

Registered to thank PADDY, but would like to stick around.

Thank you PADDY. Your post was the best info from a google search. Last week, with no "Golden Era" knowledge, I purchased a (near mint?) M-69 F for $150.00 at an antique show just to please my Lady. It looked too nice for snowshoeing in high desert or mountain forests but she fell in love with it; what could I do - she's 50% Keogh.
    I thought it was just a few years old until I started to buckle the belt at home. The thin leather on the buckle is breaking off, indicating much greater age. The rest of the coat feels and looks almost new with only slight signs of wear. "Bang for Buck"! You were spot on! The only other coat I've ever purchased for myself was a heavy-weight oil-skin Long Drover with a removable shearling liner and it cost ten dollars more!

The label reads: COATS, AIRCRAFT TRANSPORT; BUAERC.-U.S.NAVY; SPECIFICATION M-69 F; GORDON & FERGUSON CO.; CONTRACT NO. N288S-12600. The size tag says 38; perfect fit (shoulders/arms) with room around the waist for other clothes (I'm 5'11", 150 lbs.) belt adjustable. It would be nice to know the coats approx. date.

The only info I've found of interest to G&F G1/m422a/M-69 etc owners is that G&F supplied the fur coats worn by Admiral Richard E. Byrd on his first expedition to Antarctica in 1928. Also, Charles Lindberg selected G&F to supply the flight suit he wore when flying "The Spirit of St. Louis" on th first solo non-stop flight from U.S. to Paris. That suit now on display at the Smithsonion Air and Space Museum in Washington, D. C. The founder, Richards Gordon hailed from Wexford and immigrated to the U. S. in the 1840s.

There's more info in a 3 page pdf file at http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/docs/h...onFerguson.pdf.

Thanks again, PADDY. Wish you could have a Pimms on my tab.

Andy.
    Slide rules improve life....but then, so do you.

I've moved these from this thread.

And one of me being far too silly for my own good.

Would you believe I scored mine for a mere $50?

It's got some issues, though, which I would really like to fix, but don't quite know how to go about. While most of the coat is in absolutely mint condition, still supple and beautiful as the day it was made, there is one hole, the size of a quarter through the back left shoulder. I'm guessing a rat? This of course also goes through both layers of the lining and part of the tag, as you can see.

I didn't take any good photos of the damage, and at the moment, the coat's in Maryland, so I won't be able to for a while.

But when I get the chance, what do you think would be the best way to fix the hole? My main concern is the one in the leather. I would, of course, like to fix the lining as well, but it isn't as important to me. A patch of matching color goatskin attached from the back? But attached with what? Some kind of glue?
    DinerHunter.com - Food
    VintageHaberdashers.com - Clothes
    LowModern.com - Architecture

Zeppelin

Great poster Dinnerman, I really like the Zeppelin in the background! I watch Rocket Man every time it comes on TV, both for the Zeppelin and the Gee Bee!

One of the Regulars
    I have had one for a few years which I got from Aero in Scotland as part of a trade.

I hardly wear it as it is so warm but I think it is the best leather overcoat ever made. The construction is top notch. Even the Alpaca lining continues underneath the three-quarter rayon lining they would never do that these days.

Mine is a Gordon & Ferguson and also had the paper size and order info inside the pocket. The condition is fab with very slight loss of mouton on one collar edge. The USN stamp is in black and quite feint under the collar.

They thought of everything back then even the nice detail securing the belt loop at the back of the coat to make it harder to lose.

I have seen slight variations on this type of coat with a zip front made by Willis & Geiger. I know another guy who has an Edmund Church and that is lovely as well.

Incredibly cheap for what you get.

Enjoy they will last a lifetime!

I saw this on ebay. Very expensive- not in good shape, but the label made me wonder. I thought the M-422a was a G-1 style jacket, not an overcoat. Did the designation carry over or is the tag in this coat not original. The interior strap on the overcoat reminds me of a German one I have.

DinerHunter.com - Food
    VintageHaberdashers.com - Clothes
    LowModern.com - Architecture