Page 1 of 336 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Yesterday I was at the post office wearing a modern vintagey top (brown with white polka dots) with one finger roll in the hair and the other part of the hair pulled back with a white (faux) flower. The postal lady was like, "I love your hair, it's like the old style, like in the old movies." I simply said, "thank you." I think she was waiting for a little more of an explanation, which I didn't give.

So this got me to thinking, "I wonder what the other gals at the lounge say when they get compliments/comments about their vintage style." So I have to ask the questions: What type of responses do y'all get and how do you respond?

I get comments all the time when I'm working at the theatre -- before the show I'm down in the lobby greeting customers and taking tickets, and it's a rare show when someone doesn't ask me if I'm "dressed up special for the movie." (This is especially amusing when the movie has nothing to do with the Vintage Era.) We get a lot of older ladies, especially for the Tuesday matinees, and they seem to latch onto my stockings more than anything else -- one lady even bent down behind me to take a close look and see if the seams were real or drawn on...

Most of the time I just smile and say "Thank you," but sometimes I'll suggest that I like to harmonize with the overall decor of the theatre -- especially when I'm wearing this deco-ish dress I have that has almost the exact same pattern as the carpet in the lobby!
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Distinguished Service Award Lauren's Avatar
    I get "Where are you going?" a lot. And guys tell me they like girls in dresses, even the younger ones who aren't at all into vintage anything.
    http://wearinghistoryblog.com
    "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

Usually, I just say thank you, unless they ask about a specific thing. Usually, bigger women will ask where I get my clothes because, you know, I'm not wearing stuff they usually see in the stores in their sizes.
    Smile, what's the use of crying?

I get a lot of comments along the lines of "Where are you going?" or "Where do you work?"

I always respond by saying this is the way I dress--I am an editor by day, and a 1940s model to boot. This answer usually seems to satisfy most people.

I also hear a lot of "Tell us how to style are hair like that!" and "Where did you get that outfit?" I answer those questions accordingly.

Lately I have had a number of very young (teens) guys telling me that they love the look. I find this both flattering and amusing, and always tell them thank you

I get compliments on my borches often, especilly form the ladies at the post office but not too many from gals my age. I kinda wish I did, cause I do catch them looking sometimes. I have no idea what they are thinking tho. Hope its not "Gosh, what is she wearing!?"

LD

Hey, Lady Day, do you frequent the Sutter street post office? There's one lady there that always likes my outfits.

I get lots of comments. I'd say 99.9% compliments. I just smile and say thank you. I only elaborate if they ask questions. I got a question yesterday that I thought was rude...not entirely sure if she intended it that way. I was grocery shopping (at the natural food co-op....so it was hippie), and as I passed she asked if I was wearing a costume or if I always dressed this way. Mind you, I wasn't wearing anything terribly outlandish, black knee length late 30's skirt, 40's royal blue boxy jacket, stockings and vintage mary janes. Hair curled and pulled up in combs. I responded that I always dress this way. Her response, ok then. I guess it was her tone that just kinda bugged me. Usually, if someone asked if I always dress this way, it is followed by a compliment when I answer yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Day
    I get compliments on my borches often,
    Borches?

Quote Originally Posted by ITG
    Borches?
    Typo
    Brooches

LD

Familiar Face
    My guess would be "broches"...

I get the "Where are you going?" question a lot, too...

-CG