Page 36 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us their suits

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    Least Wanted on Amazon: buy it new from $2,960. Cheapest copy anywhere I can find is $463.

bk
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

That's why it's the Least Wanted! (I crack myself up!)
    Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value - Albert Einstein

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar
    A random google search did lead me to this picture. I searched for 20s but this is 30s. Snappy college fashions as seen in the Sears catalogues? Look at the waistcoats!

Now resides in the small country hamlet of Town Creek, Alabama.
    I was re-reading one of my old issues of CLASSIC STYLE today and came across a photo of Bogart's suit from The Big Sleep (Issue #2, Page 19) from an article on the collector who owns it. Measurements given seem very questionable to me. Jacket: 44" chest, 42" waist, 29" collar to skirt, and Trouser: 34" waist, 31" inseam, and 34" outseam. Inset photo of the label lists the suit as a 40.

OK, sources list Bogey at anywhere from 5' 7" or 5' 9" and from all I've read (on this forum and elsewhere) a 38 Short or Regular. So doesn't a 44 chest and 42 waist seem huge for him? And also, I'm 5" 10" and a 48R, and my inseam is normally 30". How would an inseam of 31" and an outseam of 34" be possible, especially with the high-waisted trousers of the day? A typo maybe?
    Last edited by Matt Crunk; 12-05-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    "Clothes don't make the man. They just make him look better."

Matt, you're right. those measurements aren't just questionable, they're impossible !

Maybe they meant to write 44" outseam, which would make more sense. And if the jacket measurements are correct, then I very much doubt he was a 38. 6 inches of ease in the chest would have been very unsightly.

Q, that could be a typo, but i can't believe Bogey was a 42 chest. he was a wirey man with a big head:

edit: ok, 40 chest with 4 inches of ease is just about possible.
    Last edited by herringbonekid; 12-05-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Crunk View Post
    . . . from all I've read (on this forum and elsewhere) a 38 Short or Regular. So doesn't a 44 chest and 42 waist seem huge for him . . .
    Remember, Bogart was a stage actor for a good 10 years before he started acting in motion pictures. As such, his career spanned something like 35 years. The Big Sleep was released in 1946, meaning Bogie was about 46 or 47 years-old when the film as made. A very likely explanation is that, while he was a 38 in his youth, as he aged he went up a size.

If the suit is tagged a 40, then a 44" chest would be pretty standard, particularly in the mid and late 40s, when suits weren't cut as close as hey were in the 1930s.

With regards the the 42" jacket waist, that too is believable if the suit has a 44" chest measurement. A 2" drop is doesn't sound like much, but it;s actually pretty tapered. The most wasp waisted 30's suit I own only has a 3" chest to jacket waist drop; most of my bold look suits have a chest to waist drop of 2" or less.
    Last edited by Guttersnipe; 12-05-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Who says the golden era has to be tasteful and dignified?

It Always Rains on Sunday (1948)

A classic of British film noir, this has a splendid cast and some excellent outfits:

Nigel Stock in an interesting leather jacket:

and a leather motorcycling coat:

This jacket is rather flash: double breasted, shawl collar, with patch pockets:

"I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

More pics from 'It Always Rains on Sunday'

The film is full of 'wide-boys' with a taste for bold stripes and flash overcoats:

They are also keen on belt-back overcoats:

the second belt-back coat has a lovely shape, seen here:

"I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog