Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ушанканатор - USHANKANATOR .... bring it on!!!!!!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Do you have any pics of the hat? What's your favorite color? Black, brown or grey.

Do you prefer a Ushanka with fur all over the top, or with a leather top?

Leacock

Familiar Face
Little bit of a winter break. Warm weather for the last few weeks. But a cold snap is coming so I looked out my Ushanka… and its Torn! Dang it! Leather split at the back where the ear flaps angles to the back section. Now I can’t complain, the hat is over 15 years old and I did get it from my old man so I didn’t pay for it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just cheaply made? It is Marks Work Wear house brand so I doubt it is high quality.

Now what to replace it with? I am on a budget but I want something nice that will last me for years. Any recommendations?
Johnny

You are a Canadian what are you using an ushanka for at all? Go with a Canadian style fur hat. http://bilodeauinc.com/en/products/bilodeau/men/fur-hats

Assuming you simply must have an ushanka however I have come across a few websites which came highly recommended, I will see if I can find them again.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
For the best bang for your buck, I highly reccomend a black leather sheepskin Ushanka.
http://ushanka.com/product/ushanka-leather/

Which is very similar to my ushanka.

Make sure you size up 1 cm or 2. If you're 57 cm in hat size, Ushanka.com recomends 58 or 59.

I got my exact hat size and it fits pretty snug. It stretched to the head of my shape. If you get your exact size the ushanka will sit near the middle of your forhead, just like my avatar.

It shipped in 2 days for me.

And USPS is better then UPS.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the information. I was given my last one so I have not had to think about colour or material. I really like that leather trimmed one. I was thinking of something between Sean Connery in "Hunt for Red October" and Dave Lister in "Red Dwarf".
I am the bread winner in the house with four kids so money is tight. So the cost of the Canadian site is a little steep for my pocket book. I can buy locally but they want $50 for an Faux fir one. I think I would prefer to save up a little and buy a real one on line. So probably some time before next winter. Right now the Canadian dollar isn't so good as well. So add 20% to any price you see, Plus shipping :( Oh my!
Thanks for the help. especially with size ;)
Johnny

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just broke out the needle an thread to patch mine together. Should hold for the rest of the winter. No flaps down I guess.
Johnny

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
You're welcome Johnny!

Tommorow in Toronto we have - 15 to -20 degree celcius PLUS windchill weather.

I'm going to wear my ear flaps up and eat ice cream the same time just to see everyone's reaction.

Join me Ushanka comrades =).

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Btw for the black sheepskin Ushanka, I paid around 110$ CDN dollars including tax, shipping, and converting from U.S to CDN.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Last week we did have couple of cold, windy, rainy days when I finally got to wear the ushanka (I was fighting off a case of bronchitis, too). Although the numerical temperatures were not so very low, Shanghai has a very humid climate. This makes the cold feel much colder and more penetrating. So people here often seem to be wearing more protective clothing in winter than a glance at the thermometer would suggest.

My hat is a little unusual in its design. The flaps tie in the back, rather than over the top. This means the fur hangs down over my neck in back and that my ears are pretty covered any time I wear the ushanka. The flaps down really provide more protection for my cheeks and chin.

It was really nice and comfy to wear it in the cold. But now things have warmed up a few degrees and I'm back in the felts.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Good to hear! I've been living in Canada for 17 years, and I guess I've gotten used to the cold. So far this winter, I've never deployed my ear flaps yet. The coldest temperature I've experienced in Toronto would be -25 I think; + windchill. And yes, I still kept my flaps up. The weather we're experiencing right now is -20. This is nothing, I can wear a t shirt in this weather. Right now at 9:30 AM, I'm on the bus typing this message while being late for school due to this snow storm.

Last edited:

Leacock

Familiar Face
I would recommend doing so once you have the funds, a summer hat is a great thing to have. Northwest Hats has wonderfully priced beaver felt hats. You simply have to ensure that you order well in advance.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Felt hats are useful and stylish, especially in weather that is too warm for the ushanka. I never leave the house without some kind of hat. When I was younger, I liked the look. Now that I am older and have a bald spot, hats provide needed protection as well :)

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I'm still a student, i'm so broke =/. I'm saving up for a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues lol, I hope to buy them during August or July. Any reccomendations for a grey felt fedora for under 200$? I think an umbrella will suffice for the summer =).

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Just a thought on the Park Avenues. If you're a common size (8 1/2 - 10) and have time to head across the border, make a point to visit some of the thrift stores nearest the nicer neighborhoods. I've scored 4 pairs of Park Avenues in my size, along with two pairs of Gieves and Hawkes and several pairs of Johnston & Murphys, none of them for over $30 per pair.

A friend in Canada indicated that the charity shops around her don't have the selection of those in the states, possibly because people who donate in the U.S. can get a tax credit for the donations, while that's not the case in Canada. Just stating her opinion, so I apologize if the comment is misinformed. Regardless, keep your eyes open in thrift stores in nicer areas because when it comes time to replace older clotes with newer ones, the older ones HAVE to gome somewhere. I'm probably one of the nicer-dressed people in my office, and I spend a fraction of what others spend on clothing because I'm willing to shop in throft stores. I just happen to shop where the nicest clothing is donated. Fashion may come and go, but classic style never does. Stick with basics and you won't go wrong.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
For under $200 (US), your best bet is Akubra. If you favor the tall crown/wider brim look that most loungers like, the Federation IV hat can be ordered from Hatsdirect.com for between 100-135 US dollars at the moment. These come in two (not 50) shades of grey: moonstone (lighter) and charcoal (darker). David Morgan sells other Akubra hats, which will generally come in one f these greys, and are all good value for the money. Akubras are well-made, nice-looking, and durable hats made in classic styles.

Have fun!

Leacock

Familiar Face
I'm still a student, i'm so broke =/. I'm saving up for a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues lol, I hope to buy them during August or July. Any reccomendations for a grey felt fedora for under 200$? I think an umbrella will suffice for the summer =).

Go with Northwest Hats although I have never bought the under $200 rabbit felt, I am quite confident in its quality based upon the beaver. Most affordable bespoke haberdasher I am aware of.

Last edited:

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Just a thought on the Park Avenues. If you're a common size (8 1/2 - 10) and have time to head across the border, make a point to visit some of the thrift stores nearest the nicer neighborhoods. I've scored 4 pairs of Park Avenues in my size, along with two pairs of Gieves and Hawkes and several pairs of Johnston & Murphys, none of them for over $30 per pair.

A friend in Canada indicated that the charity shops around her don't have the selection of those in the states, possibly because people who donate in the U.S. can get a tax credit for the donations, while that's not the case in Canada. Just stating her opinion, so I apologize if the comment is misinformed. Regardless, keep your eyes open in thrift stores in nicer areas because when it comes time to replace older clotes with newer ones, the older ones HAVE to gome somewhere. I'm probably one of the nicer-dressed people in my office, and I spend a fraction of what others spend on clothing because I'm willing to shop in throft stores. I just happen to shop where the nicest clothing is donated. Fashion may come and go, but classic style never does. Stick with basics and you won't go wrong.

Very helpful, thank you!

I'm very style conscious, I've been studying classic men's style for the last year, and I think I've learned all the basics. All I need to do is buy my first suit, and tux. And get them tailored. To be honest, I'll probably wear my suit everday at school, I simply don't care =).

I'm like Steve Jobs, but more stylish.

I wear the same indigo Levi jeans (they fit really well, almoet like bespoke), a zip up charcoal sweater which covers my neck, a medium grey 3/4 overcoat, black leather gloves, black Rockport leather shoes wth a rubber sole, and a black sheepskin Ushanka.

And I also carry a black leather briefcase.

I wear this combo everday atm.

What I'm thinking about buying next are Park Avenues, in the summer, grey felt Fedora in the fall, then I'll buy a charcoal suit and a tux eventually.

I'm just assuming that everyone here is well dressed since back then, men wore fedoras with nice clothes.

I can't go to the states at all unfortunately due to financial reasons, I'll prob spend around 200 bucks just to shop around lol. I'm a size 8.5 and the max ill pay is 500$.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
For under $200 (US), your best bet is Akubra. If you favor the tall crown/wider brim look that most loungers like, the Federation IV hat can be ordered from Hatsdirect.com for between 100-135 US dollars at the moment. These come in two (not 50) shades of grey: moonstone (lighter) and charcoal (darker). David Morgan sells other Akubra hats, which will generally come in one f these greys, and are all good value for the money. Akubras are well-made, nice-looking, and durable hats made in classic styles.

Have fun!

Hmm nice, I'll take a look.

I have the summer to think about it =).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21