Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Well, now you have met the owner of Schott . . .”

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife and I were killing some time before eating dinner at Michael Mina’s Bourbon Street Steakhouse (side note: only mediocre), so we walked into the Schott store in the adjacent Americana at Brand. As we were perusing the jackets, one of the guys behind the counter asked about my jacket. Real McCoys Buco J-100 I replied. That led to a conversation about the zipper – he was clearly a jacket nerd like me. He was questioning whether the Talon was NOS or recent vintage – I assured him it was NOS. During the ensuing discussion, I revealed that I had met the owner of RMC and his son. In response, this random guy replied: “Well, now you have met the owner of Scott.” That took me by surprise. Turns out the guy was Jay Schott, great grandson of the founder of Schott, and current owner (or co-owner) of the company. Really nice guy.

We discussed the Brando jacket – he, and his manager, insist that it is a Schott, and the Durable theory has been disproved. We also discussed TFL – he has visited, but concluded that too many are Schott haters. I was surprised by his opinion, as I have not discerned Schott hating here. Yes, there are other brands that receive more frequent and/or favorable mention, but Schott seems relatively well regarded.

While Jay and I were knee deep in nerd talk, my wife fell in love with a Schott 626VNW. Thus, dinner ended up being considerably more expensive than I anticipated. On the other hand, I had been wanting to get my wife a moto jacket, but she repeatedly rejected my prior suggestions. This one finally sang to here, and she is thrilled with it.

For any local folks, the Scott store at Americana is having a big sale in anticipation of moving. There are some VERY good deals to be had. Unfortunately, my wife’s jacket was not on sale (isn’t that always the case – the item you want is the one item that is not part of the sale – oh well).

Lastly, if you read this Jay, thanks for the fun nerd talk. Moreover, stick around here and share your wisdom and experience. There are a good number of Schott fans within our ranks, and others open to being converted with your sage guidance.

Wife's new Schott jacket:

imgrc0061650779.jpg

BobJ

Practically Family
My wife and I were killing some time before eating dinner at Michael Mina’s Bourbon Street Steakhouse (side note: only mediocre), so we walked into the Schott store in the adjacent Americana at Brand. As we were perusing the jackets, one of the guys behind the counter asked about my jacket. Real McCoys Buco J-100 I replied. That led to a conversation about the zipper – he was clearly a jacket nerd like me. He was questioning whether the Talon was NOS or recent vintage – I assured him it was NOS. During the ensuing discussion, I revealed that I had met the owner of RMC and his son. In response, this random guy replied: “Well, now you have met the owner of Scott.” That took me by surprise. Turns out the guy was Jay Schott, great grandson of the founder of Schott, and current owner (or co-owner) of the company. Really nice guy.

We discussed the Brando jacket – he, and his manager, insist that it is a Schott, and the Durable theory has been disproved. We also discussed TFL – he has visited, but concluded that too many are Schott haters. I was surprised by his opinion, as I have not discerned Schott hating here. Yes, there are other brands that receive more frequent and/or favorable mention, but Schott seems relatively well regarded.

While Jay and I were knee deep in nerd talk, my wife fell in love with a Schott 626VNW. Thus, dinner ended up being considerably more expensive than I anticipated. On the other hand, I had been wanting to get my wife a moto jacket, but she repeatedly rejected my prior suggestions. This one finally sang to here, and she is thrilled with it.

For any local folks, the Scott store at Americana is having a big sale in anticipation of moving. There are some VERY good deals to be had. Unfortunately, my wife’s jacket was not on sale (isn’t that always the case – the item you want is the one item that is not part of the sale – oh well).

Lastly, if you read this Jay, thanks for the fun nerd talk. Moreover, stick around here and share your wisdom and experience. There are a good number of Schott fans within our ranks, and others open to being converted with your sage guidance.

Wife's new Schott jacket:

imgrc0061650779.jpg
Cool story, thanks for sharing it! Your wife is going to look hot in this jacket :)

Mark

Practically Family
Great story and stunning jacket, only wish my wife would do some thing like that for me.

Reactions: A-1

dan_t

Practically Family
Great story Super, thanks for sharing.
I'd love to get a Schott to compliment the others in my closet. Like you, I haven't really sensed a negative tone towards the brand.
Perhaps towards some of their more fashion focused items available in high street fashion stores, but certainly not their made in USA heavier duty made-for-purpose items.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think this is a Schott-hating place, it's just that their range is a little less interesting/relevant to this parish.

I wouldn't say less interesting, just more confusing...different quality levels sold to different markets. I don't know which is which or how to tell so they just aren't on my list when considering a new jacket.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
My brown 141 has been to several continents with me and is in Europe with me right now. It fits and looks great. I'd say the biggest "complaint", if you want to call it that, is that you can't fully customize the sizing like you can with some of the brands mentioned more often here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't say less interesting, just more confusing...different quality levels sold to different markets. I don't know which is which or how to tell so they just aren't on my list when considering a new jacket.
That's a really good point. There are times when I've read posts and I wonder if they're talking about a completely different maker from the one I see in the high street.

There are a good number of Schott fans within our ranks, and others open to being converted with your sage guidance.

Here!!! 4lyfe!

Awesome read, Super. I really appreciate you posting this.

Jason is not far off, though. I have read some... really disparaging comments here that couldn't have been more divorced from reality. At times, this place would make you think Schott is Wilson grade maker. Sure, they've had some problems and they do have a budget line produced overseas that's not even on their website but their main line, the Perfectos and the CR's, it's as good as from any maker under the sun. Any!

Just yesterday I was thinking I gotta make a post on how impressed I am with my Schott CR. This jacket has probably seen more abuse than any other I've ever had. Whenever the temperatures would allow it, regardless of the weather condition, this CR has been my jacket to go. And look at it. I began thinking of it as being indestructible. It's waterproof, damageproof (literally cannot get scraped), it's perfectly tailored and it looks good. Hell, my dog sleeps on it sometimes since I just toss it somewhere randomly when I get back home. May not have NOS vintage hardware but the no.10 Ideal does its job perfectly. It may look a bit posey but this is a pure breed motorcycle jacket by any standard.

So when I find a maker that makes an objectively better jacket than this one, I'll let you know straight away. So far, my quest continues. With no end in sight.

I hope Super you don't mind me posting these pics in your thread... And please, please post some of the wife's 626!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Craig; great write up and very interesting story. Like others on this forum, I do not discern there are any Schott haters here either. However, one other unnamed company on the other side of the Pond with questionable inception ... :p

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Great post Superfluous , and after speaking with you maybe Jay will invest some time here on TFL . Funny thing I was in a store here in Connecticut last week with my wife and they had a few 626's. All they had was large and she is a size small otherwise I think we would have purchased one. The 626 is a nice lightweight vintage leather jacket and has a nice lining also...perfect for California weather !!

I think Schott gets a slightly lack luster review on occasion because for most the sleeve and body lengths they offer as standard just don't work. As far as craftsmanship and quality go all, that I have owned, have been flawless. I really dig their Horween stuff and they certainly are ahead of the curve when it comes to pushing out new designs in various hides.
Great story SF. But now you've broken the seal. Better get Himmel cooking up a ladies Avro...we all no one is never enough.

Peacoat

Bartender
Great story; thanks for sharing it. I would like more information as to how the Durable story was disproved. I tend to agree with the Doc that the evidence tends to lean toward Durable.

And Monitor, Love your Schott CR.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Fantastic story Superfluous! And yeah, I don't mind Schott at all. Their stock sleeve and body lengths work fairly well for me. I still kick myself for not picking up a CAF1 cafe racer jacket some years ago, then last year I was in their NYC store and learnt Schott was not making this jacket anymore. Monitor's Schott CR posted above is really awesome! A 641 and a 618 are still on my wish-list!

Oh, and some years ago, convinced my wife to get a Schott Perfecto - it was some sort of limited edition 218, and this was in Paris. She really liked it, but seems her sister liked it more cuz she borrowed it one day, and it hasn't been back in our house since then!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Great story! I love the way the whole thing unfolded, perfect tone, perfect read! Bravo! As for Schott haters.... Well, I've not had good luck with them but I don't hate em... just don't love em.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto