Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1890's-1900's early hat manufacture HAWES (Hawes Von Gal) HAT CO

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I was trying to do some research on another early hat manufacture when I kept coming across advertisements for the Hawes Hat Co. The earlier advertisements only show the name, "HAWES," but later another partner joined the company and it was renamed "Hawes Von Gal Hat Co." I love these early soft hats and really loved how neat some of the advertisement drawing were. I have never seen a Hawes hat on the forum or on ebay, but according to everything that I could find on them, they were a pretty big seller of mens hats. I have collected some ads and wanted to post them in a thread. Hopefully a real life Hawes hat will pop up one day!

1897-1898
1897-1898HawesHatCo.jpg

1899HawesHatcoMunseysmagazine.jpg

1899HawesHatCompany.jpg

1900HawesHatcoTheBlackcatmagazine.jpg

1901HawesHatco.jpg

1901HawesHatco2.jpg

1901HawesHatcoMcCluresmagazine.jpg

1901HawesHatcoOutingMagazine.jpg

1902HawesvonGalhatsTheCosmopolitan.jpg

1903HAWESVONGALMENSHATS.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for adding those two ads, Lefty. I appreciate it. Im trying to collect as much info about this company as I can. I don't know why it interests me so much, but Im on the hunt for a Hawes soft hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
As far as I can remember, I've seen no more than three Hawes hats. I don't think I've seen a soft one yet.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't seem to find any at the moment, but that doesn't mean that they're not there.
Here's another ad without a date.
BcsGUOgCGkKGrHqMH-D0EqupSgbJBK1jl92.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thats a great picture, Lefty! I wonder if that guy has a hat size bigger than an 8. Thats one vintage bowler size that might be hard to find.....;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Early 1900's Caravan Derby (Von Hal Hats)

Well this Derby was a shocker. I bought it because it had a really cool sweatband stamp, but upon looking under the sweat, to my surprise, I have my first VON GAL HAT! Hawes Von Gal made hats in their own brand name, but also did private label work. In the little bits of information I have been able to piece together about the company, it started life as the HAWES hat company and then around 1902-1903 it merged with the E.J. von Gal Hat Company and was called the Hawes Von Gal hat company until around 1911-1912 where the Hawes name was dropped from some advertisements to only leave the Von Gal Hat Company. Some advertisements still used both names, "Von Gal made hats" and "Hawes Von Gal." Whats interesting is that even though the name changed to the Hawes Von Gal hat company around 1902 or 1903, many advertisements in THE AMERICAN HATTER and MEN'S WEAR still referred to the company as the Hawes hat company. The reorder tags also just said "HAWES" for a bit. I am unsure when the company actually used "Hawes Von Gal" on the reorder tags and sweatband stamps. This Caravan Derby has the "Von Gal" name on the reorder tag. Also the original price tag for the hat is stapled to the sweat and very faintly says $4. I would date this hat to around 1911 or 1912 if its a "Hawes Von Gal hat, but I'm unsure if this hat was made at the E.J. von Gal factory and therefore the reason that the reorder tag only says, "Von Gal." I suspect that since the hat was made in Danbury, Conneticut and not in Niagra Falls, New York (where the E.J. von Gal Hat Co manufacturing building was located), that this hat was MOST likely made by the "Hawes Von Gal" manufacturing plant post 1911-1912 when the "Hawes" name was dropped from the labels. Whats REALLY CONFUSING is that I've seen many references that show that E.J. von Gal Hat Co Limited and Hawes Von Gal Incorporated existed at the same time under similar management. My dates could be completely off because the info is all over the board, but if anybody can help me solidify any of these dates, I would really appreciate it.

DSC06503.jpg

DSC06506.jpg

DSC06507.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

DSC06510.jpg

DSC06514.jpg

DSC06515.jpg

DSC06516.jpg

DSC06519.jpg

Here's an advertisement from 1911 that shows the "Von Gal Made Hats" logo which I have not seen on any advertisement prior to 1911.

1911HawesVonGal.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Early 1900's Caravan Derby (Von Hal Hats)

DSC06517.jpg

DSC06518.jpg

Here's a picture from the Niagara Falls Library Archives of the E.J. von Gal Hat Co Manufacturing plant:

http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/show.asp?id=94992&b=1

E. J. Von Gal Manufacturing Co., on the corner of Queen St. & Zimmerman Ave., Niagara Falls, ca 1914

EJvonGalManufacturingplant1914.jpg

"this building was originally built as a factory manufacturing mountings & accessories for carriages, later they manufactured hats; later still it became the King Edward Hotel, until it burned down; - the building on the far right of the picture was the Michigan Railway Station"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21