Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s drama: "Genius" (Firth & Kidman)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I had not heard of this film, but it looks intriguing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703957/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_5 Firth plays famed editor Maxwell Perkins, who helped to bring Thomas Wolfe, Hemingway, and Fitzgerald to the world. The photos of 1920s style, especially Perkins's hats, are fascinating. Nice, too, to see a film nowadays that contains something other than explosions. And then, of course, there's Nicole, and Jude Law as Thomas Wolfe.

I love the book it's based on "Max Perkins" Editor of Genius" by A Scott Berg - my respect for the role an editor plays in a great novelists life grew exponentially. The movie is based on one part of the book - mainly the Thomas Wolfe part - and can't wait to see it.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I love the book it's based on "Max Perkins" Editor of Genius" by A Scott Berg - my respect for the role an editor plays in a great novelists life grew exponentially. The movie is based on one part of the book - mainly the Thomas Wolfe part - and can't wait to see it.
I like to think of myself as a skillful editor, and would probably appreciate this film even without Nicole being in it. Maybe I can find the book at my college's library.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Took the film out from the library a week or so ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Nicole hasn't many scenes, but she is developing into a solid character actress, wisely not attempting to hang on to her glamour-puss persona from the '90s. (Still a gorgeous woman, though.) And Jude Law I hardly recognized as Thomas Wolfe!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ