Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's light grey belted back SB suit with peak/fishmouth lapels.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The dating arguments are academic, with a 30" waist and a 27" inside leg, it's never going to be on my shopping list.
Lovely suit though.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
But I think until the early-mid 1930's US trousers in general were usually made the "conservative" way without pleats, no? The presence of pleats is IMO yet another hint (albeit not the strongest) towards the 1930's.

I would agree, but with a disclaimer. As the 30s progressed, higher waist, pleated trousers definitely became the fashion-forward go to in the States. However, flat front, lower rise trousers became a "conservative" for the more staid and/or older men. I've seen those early 30s style trousers on dated suits as late as the second half of the 40s.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
BTW - if anyone's thinking about buying this suit, the reserve's probably up there. RP Vintage has amazing stuff (I've bought from them before, they're great), but it's top dollar. Buy-it-now for a cool $800.

http://www.rpvintage.com/main.asp?menu=viewItem&itemID=20S-179&gender=Mens&era=1920s
I just checked out the site and I was drooling over a late teens double breasted suit with flared skirts it looks like it stepped straight out of 1919 but alas it is sold and I can not afford their prices without some serious penny saving.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
http://www.rpvintage.com/main.asp?menu=viewItem&itemID=20S-415&gender=Mens&era=1920sI've just seen this one on their site - for $1,195!:
main.asp

DamianM

Vendor
RP has a $795 reserve on this suit. Way overpriced.
They have some great things but most of them are beyond a normal mans price range.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
They have some great things but most of them are beyond a normal mans price range.

That's a common charge made against high end sellers of any collectible item. However, if you look at the specific items RP sells, they routinely get items that most vintage sellers rarely do. I think TT's comments above speak to that pretty well . . .

DamianM

Vendor
They have some Nice things: yes.
But there are others out there that have more and don't ask these prices.

Fun fact: they have an overcoat previsouly owned by Marc C.
He paid 40 dollars in a thrift years ago then sold it off. Now they are charging 4 times what he originally sold it.

It's a fair enough point. Much of the stuff I've sold has subsequently been sold on for much more. But that's the market. (For example I bought a jacket for £2, sold it on to Nick D. for £20, he sold it on for $95 or so. I'll bet everyone who sold and bought felt they were getting a decent deal.) If people who bought from me had any idea what I paid for the items, they might feel that they got ripped off. But Hell, let them put the damn legwork in to find the stuff from the cheap sources.

That RP vintage website has one of the best collections in one place of any of the collections I've seen. Some of the rarest most sought after gear around from any era. Almost second to none. Their prices reflect that. We can point to any website or dealer and pick out things that are overpriced. For items of the standard of the suit that started this thread, I don't think the prices are too far out of the realm of reality.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender

No one's forcing anyone to buy it. If that's the price they want to get, I don't see what the issue is.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
That RP vintage website has one of the best collections in one place of any of the collections I've seen. Some of the rarest most sought after gear around from any era. Almost second to none. Their prices reflect that. We can point to any website or dealer and pick out things that are overpriced. For items of the standard of the suit that started this thread, I don't think the prices are too far out of the realm of reality.

Yep.

Yes, they're trying a different avenue for sales. Websites attract a notoriously limited number of the usual suspects/same old faces. They have a reserve for a reason!

I'll bet their prices reflect what they can get from a costume designer (their stated "first" business). You wouldn't let a suit go for $150 if you know you can rent it out 8 times over its lifetime for $100 a pop!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
And look at the 1920s suit with a 46 inch chest. Yes, $1100 is a lot of anyone's money, but when did you last see a 1920s suit with 42 inch waist trousers? And when will you see another one? Added to that, it's in a distinctive cloth rather than plain grey.
Since supply and demand dictates the price, it seems to be fair.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, if they manage to turn up belt backs with a 40 inch chest and 27.75 sleeves I might give them a try.

DamianM

Vendor
And look at the 1920s suit with a 46 inch chest. Yes, $1100 is a lot of anyone's money, but when did you last see a 1920s suit with 42 inch waist trousers? And when will you see another one? Added to that, it's in a distinctive cloth rather than plain grey.
Just the other night when I met up with a client for one of my caps, he was wearing an early 1920s db subdued pinstriped suit.
A 44 chest and he was a little over 6 feet tall. He didn't pay nowhere near that price.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

The last time I saw a 20s suit with a 42" waist, it was for sale on RP Vintage's website . . .

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
. . . also, if you look through RP's sold items (both on their site and on eBay), it's pretty clear that they can and do sell items for their asking prices.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Just the other night when I met up with a client for one of my caps, he was wearing an early 1920s db subdued pinstriped suit.
A 44 chest and he was a little over 6 feet tall. He didn't pay nowhere near that price.

I would say that he was a very lucky man to find that suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points