Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

UserUser22

New in Town
Hmm, I'm not sure! (New to all the terms and different styles.)
I should have included some pictures along with my post to clarify what I meant, but I guess I might as well post them now.

Here are some pictures that I found on the internet that show what type of cut I was talking about.

Charlie Chaplin and Max Linder, both wearing the type of trousers I'm thinking about:
tumblr_kvv4oyeNaj1qzkyblo1_1280.jpg

Rudolph Valentino to the left, great example:
talking_NEW.jpg

Sidney Chaplin and Charles Chaplin. The trousers that Charlie is wearing are a good example:
studios_12_big.jpg

Hope this clarifies my question!

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
UserUser22,

there's really nothing extraordinary to say about the cut of early-mid 1920s trousers; they're nearly always flat front, have a top thigh width of about 12-14" and taper to an ankle width of about 7.5" -8.5".

(edit: i should just add: the taper is quicker from top of thigh to knee and then more slight from knee to ankle, but that's a standard trouser thing anyway, not exclusive to early'20s trousers).

they're medium-high waisted (lower than '30s and '40s trousers, although some British examples are higher than U.S. ones).
they usually have no break or are finished about an inch off the shoe.

although these trousers are narrow, they're still not nearly as narrow as modern 'slim' trousers, which are much closer fitting around the thigh and seat.

i haven't heard of anyone using special techniques to press '20s trousers other than the usual iron or trouser-press, but maybe someone else has ?

Eatonstrousers1_zpse1c1e84a.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
I do find that my vintage trousers hold creases much better than modern ones. I think it has less to do with the way they are creased and more to do with the quality of the fabric. And with the likelihood of much more frequent pressing for suits in general in the past.

Metatron

One Too Many
How do they look so straight with zero break?
1)the obvious-they are shorter, so they don't - or barely touch the shoe.
2)the weight of the turn up pulls on the trouser leg, keeping it straight
3)the fabric itself is heavy(like tweed) unlike modern suits so it keeps it's shape.

Even though am more of a 1930s-early 1950s fan, I don't like a full break on trousers with turn ups.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112