• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

1920s suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Flat Foot Floey, Feb 8, 2013.

1. you're right Eddie... that one beats me to it :( although the photo above is a whole suit, so i'll still give myself one point. :)

i've made a version based on a U.S. one... 4 buttons, higher slanted pockets.

2. I like the pipe smoking chap in the background it's a pity we can't see more of his attire, oh and the cap on the lad in shorts at the front is a beauty!

3. Dostioffsky

Dostioffsky One of the Regulars

Oxford undergraduates (with 'oxford bags', I presume!) in 1923

[​IMG]

4. Stole this from another thread....:p

Maurice Ravel, 1925
    [​IMG]

5. Dostioffsky

To continue the post about film stars in the pre-1920's thread:

Jack Pickford.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A hairy waistcoat?

[​IMG]

Wallace Reid.

Shoes!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. good stuff Dostz.

7. Very nice Dostioffsky. Nice to see some casual looks from the stars.

HBK - I've acquired a knitted tie in similar style to that peculiar short one you posted somewhere a while ago. Where the rear blade ties longer than the front. Only thing is that this one is black, so that rules out the sports angle. I'll post it on the ties thread when I've got time. I've assumed it's about a century old.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

8. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Really interesting. Where is this photo from? And is the date certain.

9. Dostioffsky

It's from the 'National portrait gallery'. I ended up looking at pictures of TS Eliot recently and via him I found this Edward Sackville-West, 5th Baron Sackville. He is on the very right in this picture. This is a direct link to the page it is from: http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...as&sText=Edward+Sackville-West&role=sit&rNo=9

Since this Sackville seems to be a fairly well known/important person (novelist, music critic, member of the house of lords), I assume the dating would be correct. I don't really know anything about him, though.

10. we've seen photos of Cambridge students from 1925 in wide (10-11") trousers, so this guy could be one of the style leaders who started the whole trend.
    i'm still surprised to see trousers that wide in 1923 !

11. Dostioffsky

I dont't really know anything about the history of 'oxford bags' and the like, so I had no idea that they were unkown in 1923. I just tried to see if I could find at what specific years Edward Sackville studied at oxford, but no luck. He was born in 1901 which would make him 21 or 22 in this photo. That seems about right, as far as I can tell...

Here is another photo, supposedly from 1922, of Sackville (2nd from right), labeled in the same way. He definitely looks around 21 years old. (By the way, that suit he's wearing looks way ahead of its time too! Could be early 30's if you ask me)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  12. Wallace Reid:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lovely bunch of clobber here HBK

14. Chaplin, 1919-23:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dostioffsky likes this.
  15. Dirk Wainscotting

Dirk Wainscotting A-List Customer

Chaplin was one of the 20th century's best dressed men. People forget it because his name is so associated with his 'Little Tramp' creation. His jacket in the last photo fits like a glove.

16. i agree Dirk. couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kaiser

kaiser A-List Customer

I know that this is a Suit thread, but looking at the shoes Charlie wears surprised me. I did not realize that button boots were that common in the 1920's, though in the one photo he is the only one wearing them, the rest have lace ups, is this just a tweek to his style ?

18. Dirk Wainscotting

Dirk Wainscotting A-List Customer

Are they not spats?

19. they do look like button boots. here's a close up from another photo:

[​IMG]

the button boot would have been on the way out by the early 20s but still available; it's decline roughly in tandem with the narrow trouser (i.e. out of vogue by about 1925).